tuning a nitrous setup

Post and participate in general automotive tech here.

Moderator: Gaskleppie

crows
http://phpbb3styles.net

tuning a nitrous setup

Post by crows »

i am new to tuning with ectune so i would like to know if anyone has tuned a nitrous setup with it. I will be running a dry shot and adding the extra fuel through the injectors is there any way to activate a secondary map with a switch, i did see the general purpose outputs and i assume they work to just ground the wire be it the AC, or other wire and use a relay to activate the selenoid, im just confused with the compensation boxes and when do they activate and what range of values they use... any help is great, maybe some example cal's so i can review the settings

JaredKaragen

Post by JaredKaragen »

Use an input like b7 for the enable/disable, and use an output like the Ac control for activating nos. you want to be sure to use the activation input for your secondary maps as you don't want them potentially beig delayed a hair during initial activation. Doing it dry is risky for the initial portion of the tune because you have to \"hip shot\" the fuel value... Very big potential for a lean catastrophe.
95 Sol Si : D16z6 : TD04H-13C 74 Civic 1200 : 100% Stock

crows

Post by crows »

that was my initial thought on tuning it dry, that i have to guess the initial fuel values.. i can maybe start with very small nitrous jet and just over shoot the fuel a lot and then kinda learn what it likes, then up the nitrous little by little kinda risky but i think its the only way.. the part about using the activation input on the secondary maps, you mean activate the secondary maps via another input or the same b7 input?

elevation

Post by elevation »

select \"activate secondary maps with gop\". better to go extra rich and then lean it out to 11.8 afr start with a smaller shot then go larger if you wish.I use a nos blow off to keep the afr from leaning out when you shift. Im direct port with a pusher. if your solenoid is close enough to the jets this wont be a problem.
regards eCtune authorized tuner eCtune team Colorado Springs, CO- USA elevationauto.com

JaredKaragen

Post by JaredKaragen »

elevation wrote:select "activate secondary maps with gop". better to go extra rich and then lean it out to 11.8 afr start with a smaller shot then go larger if you wish.I use a nos blow off to keep the afr from leaning out when you shift. Im direct port with a pusher. if your solenoid is close enough to the jets this wont be a problem.
That method would work, but I personally would prefer to have the secondary maps on an enable switch (which would also control a relay to the other side of the NOS solenoids as to be a fail-safe disable), and the GOP to activate the solenoids... This way there is no potential delay/overlap of activating the solenoids and secondary maps.

elevation

Post by elevation »

Im not shure what you mean. I have mine running off the A/C input/output. The secondary maps activate instantly with the gop.The tps should be set to 97%, The demands to launch the nos are 4000 rpm, coolant and air temp at warmed up values And you have to graph the mbar you pulling at wide open throttle. Absolutley no problems with delay or overlap.
regards eCtune authorized tuner eCtune team Colorado Springs, CO- USA elevationauto.com

JaredKaragen

Post by JaredKaragen »

elevation wrote:Im not shure what you mean. I have mine running off the A/C input/output. The secondary maps activate instantly with the gop.The tps should be set to 97%, The demands to launch the nos are 4000 rpm, coolant and air temp at warmed up values And you have to graph the mbar you pulling at wide open throttle. Absolutley no problems with delay or overlap.
You know about the ~200-400 rpm variance with revlimit? I apply that potential issue to anything relying on rpm for activation. Aside from the fact that a microprocessor processes one thing at a time vs simultaneously. Especially when it comes to NOS and other sensitive power adders. Let's say the gpo routine sees x rpm, and when the second process runs the rom could have varied...

elevation

Post by elevation »

That makes sense, I always guesstimate the bounds of the map. So if the maps engage 500 rpm lower than actual rpm, the secondary fuel and ignition maps already have the fuel and ignition they should have. Same thing when you tune the last pressure column(or two) I guesstimate the fuel; rich and ignition ;retarded. just incase atmospheric pressure takes you close to the next column. worst case would be the nitrous solenoid hitting before the secondary maps engage(and thats what your saying, a second triggar closing ground to the solenoid to enshure the map is engaged) Appreciate the knowlage and time you spend on eCtune!

JaredKaragen

Post by JaredKaragen »

Anytime :). I always appreciate bumping heads to get the best answer :)