Building a B18C1... DOHC here I come!

Post and participate in general automotive tech here.

Moderator: Gaskleppie

JaredKaragen
http://phpbb3styles.net

Building a B18C1... DOHC here I come!

Post by JaredKaragen »

So I've gathered enough parts (finally) to get myself a b series built for myself. I am planning an oe build spec for now, with possible pistons/rods in the future. What I'm working with: Obd1 B18C1 bottom end Jdm b18c \"p72-00\" pistons/rods 99 civic b16a head Obd1 gsr intake manifold (will redrill for b16 head) Plans for N/A to start, and boost in the near future. I already sourced a 57 trim t3/t04e. Anyone have any suggestions/tips? I have a few specific questions: Will I need to notch the block/girdle if I plan to put forged internals in? Any common oil system upgrades/mods? And cam/valvetrain recommendations? (I need this to pass a smog now and then so I don't want it to be a wild vacuum-less cam) Thanks guys! I am finally putting my DOHC shoes on :). If anyone has a good fuel/ignition tuned map for the jdm pistons/Ross with a b16 head it would be nice :). I have no clue what final timing these motors will like. And for those who care, my current boosted z6 will be transplanted into my '74 :)
95 Sol Si : D16z6 : TD04H-13C 74 Civic 1200 : 100% Stock

9400RPMS

Post by 9400RPMS »

My stage 1 's would probably be your beat option. ddtech cams ftw :P
DDTech | DDTECHCAMS.COM

ratcityrex

Post by ratcityrex »

No you won't need to notch anything. As far as oil system, get a oil temp gauge and keep a eye on tegs and go from there as fad as adding a cooler or anything. And I would make sure you have a obd2 oem oil pump. Cams, I would try and get a set of itr or ctr cams. Oem shit rocks....lol does real well with boost too.

JDMirza

Post by JDMirza »

Why not ditch the GSR intake manny and go with a Type R one or a skunk 2 manny ? I've seen people sell the type R ones for like 150 on H-T. As far as notching the GSR girdle, nothing needs to be fabricated in that area to compensate for forged internals. There aren't any obstacles in your way of putting in forged internals. I've just built a GSR for my boost setup ... here's the link if you want to read up about it and if your interested. I actually have two threads that I did for a boost setup. I am fresh to the tuning scene, and never operated a tuning software before in my life, but I am very knowledgeable in the area of thermodynamics, and not worried at all about making any fatal errors in the future with such an EMS. Anyways ... enough babbling about me, didn't mean to thread jack but here is the thread. If you have any other questions on blueprinting motors, just LMK!! :D Good luck on the setup bro! http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=3049141

JaredKaragen

Post by JaredKaragen »

Thanks! Looks like your up to snuff on building :) I myself go the extra mile to check my rod end journals as well; knockers that were donors tend to oval them out and leave a light knock sound in the fresh motor (hapened to me once, never again). I have gathered everything from 2 bottom ends; rebuilt a ported p72 head; axles/half shaft; gsr intake; rebuild parts (bearings, gaskets, belt, pump); p/s pump.... Just need misc bolts and brackets to install it.... And to send one of the two blocks to the machine shop with my specs. It's good to know if I decide to do a forged install (block in the car type of madness) I can keep it oem now, and speedhone it when I go to install.... I'm a crazy guy in that respect... But I get it done with no failures yet! *knocks on wood* I'll update with major progress as I get it done :)
95 Sol Si : D16z6 : TD04H-13C 74 Civic 1200 : 100% Stock

JDMirza

Post by JDMirza »

Haha! Very nice, plan to see this baby running. Keep us updated on the build. I just started my thing up yesterday sounds like a beast with that extra Piston to wall clearance that I have setup for a highway weekend monster. Then again, JE's are known for their noise nuisance and disrespected for their piston slap. Just make sure go about measuring every single thing possible inside that GSR power house of yours. Using a Fowler Dial Bore Gauge I found very respectful in my case, and didn't run into that many walls when building my motor. It's my 3rd rebuild on my own so far. If using Plasti Gage, make sure that this type of clearance checking method is a double check type of strategy. After you have made sure your clearance on the Dial Bore Gauge is measured with complete accuracy. Keep my poster Dude! 8)