Nasty looking dyno charts - Mechanical Issue?

Post and participate in general automotive tech here.

Moderator: Gaskleppie

Graybeard
http://phpbb3styles.net

Post by Graybeard »

Interesting video. I am surprised that the 3D plug could get a spark across the entire ring while it was working. That is really hard to do. The electrons and holes collect at the sharp points and jump where the atmosphere has the lowest resistance, usiually the shortest gap, but local temperature variations can affect that. Yes, the IAT sensor is in the manifold. I wouldn't even try to tune blown car with the IAT sensor pre-boost. FYI, we are at about 9.7:1 compression ratio to make sure we will pass the NOx emissions. That and a pretty good intercooler setup seems to make it easier for us to get away with 13 PSI of boost. My son just texted me that he didn't take a picture of the ported blower outout port either. Sorry about that. We're usually pretty good at photo docunemtation. He does have a picture of the ported S-pipe...
88 CRX HF, Darton sleeved, forged 2L B18C1 w/ P&P B16A head, CTR/GSR cams, LHT 3\" headers, ported JRSC M62 w/LHT Intercooler, etc. My son's car.

Spawne32

Post by Spawne32 »

You said that your running a 70mm skunk2 throttle body, is that going to work correctly bolting up to the ..stube im assuming, i believe they are still there on the GSR kits just slightly smaller. One of the issues with using a larger throttle body on my kit would be the fact that the inlet of the Stube where the tb mounts is only 60mm, and remains 60mm all the way through to the supercharger inlet, which kind of defeats the purpose of the larger plate because you wind up just causing a massive restriction at the front of the s-tube. Just something to keep in mind. Im trying to think of other ways to help maybe things that were over looked but really your throwing down some fantastic numbers and seem to have all the bases covered.

Graybeard

Post by Graybeard »

The S-tube is ported to 68mm, so the lip is only 1mm on each side.
88 CRX HF, Darton sleeved, forged 2L B18C1 w/ P&P B16A head, CTR/GSR cams, LHT 3\" headers, ported JRSC M62 w/LHT Intercooler, etc. My son's car.

Spawne32

Post by Spawne32 »

ah ok very good, man you got all your shit covered lol

Graybeard

Post by Graybeard »

I'm pretty sure we'd have had better numbers if we'd gone with higher compression pistons. I don't mind bending the rules on smog tests a bit, but I wanted to ensure we didn't have any NOx emissions like we did with the last NA motor my son and I built. It had high compression, but we could not get it to pass NOx unless we ran it pig rich and then it failed CO and HC. And that car is great fun to drive even at 262/197. It'll kick my KB Cobra's butt. The biggest issue now is traction. We're running 205s with a fairly soft composition. We now need to get a little time to get the new distributor in, fix the intercooler hose kink, etc. Then we need a little more dyno tyime. Too many other things getting in the way for a couple of weeks...

9400RPMS

Post by 9400RPMS »

fyi, change those gear settings ;).. Advanced the exhaust more. There's more power in there, alot left infact..
DDTech | DDTECHCAMS.COM

Graybeard

Post by Graybeard »

That was our plan eventually, but it's a bit of a PITA with a stock valve cover. So we're looking for a cut valve cover we can use for tuining. Thanks for the advice on where to go with the cam timing. We were kind of shooting in the dark when it came to figuring out what we should try first.

Spawne32

Post by Spawne32 »

any more results from this, really looking forward to hearing more.

Graybeard

Post by Graybeard »

We're still looking for a cut cam cover. And my son has run off with the car and is daily driving it. I have his beater 88 DX with an LS swap sitting in my driveway. But at least my Cobra is back in the garage and I can get twice the gas mileage with regular gas by leaving it there when I run errands in his DX. :) I'll be sure to update the thread when he shows up with a cut cam cover and wants to see if he can get some more out of it. Oh, and we still need to finish setting up the AC... He's MichaelO on Honda-tech. PM him or make a thread and give him some crap. :)

Spawne32

Post by Spawne32 »

lol you know its easy to do that mod yourself right?

Graybeard

Post by Graybeard »

Yes, but it's an instant ticket here in the People Republic of California if the cops see you have adjustable cams, so we need a spare cam cover we can cut or a cut cam cover. We only need it for the tuning, and then we have to cover it up again. And it's his car, so I figure he can do his part for the project. :) I also think he's having fun driving it. At 262/197, it is a VERY quick CRX for the street here in Cali. It's not like I don't I don't have anything else to do either. I have had my Teksid Terminator engine build on hold for two years while we worked on his car: http://www.classictiger.com/mustang/Tek ... inator.htm Now that I have my garage back...

Spawne32

Post by Spawne32 »

lol Im thoroughly convinced with a set of custom supercharger cams from DDTECH like what I have and some more tuning you could easily get this thing near 300. Sucks that you live out in that communist country, you would have so much more leeway with the rules here in america.

Spawne32

Post by Spawne32 »

Any updates on this?

Graybeard

Post by Graybeard »

Sorry, but my son finally got tired of working on the tune, so he's just having fun driving the car. At 262hp, it has plenty of power for the street. I'm just waiting for him to get bored so he'll come home so we can work on it again. That's the trouble with grown children. They leave home and you never see them again... Till they need money. :)