AEM Uego Wideband \"Ground Offsets\"

Post and participate in general automotive tech here.

Moderator: Gaskleppie

JDMirza
http://phpbb3styles.net

AEM Uego Wideband \"Ground Offsets\"

Post by JDMirza »

Here is a super noob question that I have been pondering about for my new setup regarding the AEM Uego wideband. My foundation in electrical is stable enough where I can read things over and over in order to fully understand and grasp the concept. When I'm explaining things, I get off board, and lose my grip but anyways ... I was reading up about how the Innovate LC-1 measures it's output voltage referenced to it's \"ground.\" So for example..lets assume that the ECU 02 input is grounded against the engine block(thermostat housing) and the uego is grounded to the frame(inside of my car, the black wire that powers up the analog display, not sure if this effects the output?? school me, but anyways..). Isn't the output voltage of the Uego going to be different IF THAT BLACK WIRE measures output voltage referenced to ground. I'm not familiar with how the UEGO measures output voltage, I've heard the LC-1 uses this type of strategy, anybody know this from experience ?

Bindegal
<font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by Bindegal »

I have never managed to get the LC-1 analog outputs to work 100%, ever, so not my favourite product to use as a reference :) Ideally there should be a \"power ground\" into which the controller/sensor puts a current drain.Chassis should be fine. And then a \"signal ground\" you´d put to D21/D22 at the ECU to reference the analog output. As always, resist the temptation to take power from the lighter socket or ECU plugs :) /Allan
Regards, eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

JDMirza

Post by JDMirza »

This \"power ground\" that you are referring to is going to be the ground wire that powers up the display on the 02 wideband display gauge right ? its not going to be the wire that effects output voltage, because nothing is hooked up to my ecu for the wideband. Only power and ground, power is hooked up to the ignition switch, and ground is hooked up to the chassis of my car. So I have to hook up either the white whire or the blue wire which is going to give the ecu clarification of what the output voltage is ... am i correct ?

Bindegal
<font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by Bindegal »

The display is not likely to have a significant power drain... The controller, driving the heater element in the O2 sensor, is. If display and controller are one combined unit, well then the display would be \"the controller\" in your case. If you have a \"signal ground\" wire, connect it to ECU D21/D22. /Allan
Regards, eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

JDMirza

Post by JDMirza »

Yes I am pretty sure there is a signal ground wire that comes straight out of the UEGO. Because of the fact when I was wiring the thing up to my car, I only connected the red and black wire to power up the \"display\" for the o2 sensor itself. Just to make sure the connection was secure, and the product held its function. But I never knew they ran like that, I thought it was only through one wire Display/Output towards ECU. Anyways, now it makes perfect sense. As soon as I get more time tomorrow to fire up the car, and start tuning for my first time I will make sure that the Analog output wire off the UEGO goes to that Pin. I had the car running yesterday on my old b16 basemap external ROM that was hooked up to the obd1 p28 that I have in my EK. The AFR's were a little high when it reached operating temperature, but that's probably because of the fact the ECU wasn't receiving any feedback from the O2's. Good thing I have read this book before I started getting my feet wet with this type of stuff, hence this pre-study I did on EFI tuning will hold a boundary line between risky damage and my motor. Essentially, more than 100% confidence is what I see in my perspective.