Anyone experienced with vtec-e D15z6?

Post and participate in general automotive tech here.

Moderator: Gaskleppie

Bindegal
<font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>
http://phpbb3styles.net

Anyone experienced with vtec-e D15z6?

Post by Bindegal »

So here´s the plan. Step 1: Buy a VTEC-E econobox EK Civic with D16z6. Done. Step 2: Spend shameful amounts of money fixing it up.(In progress.) Step 3: Break it in for a month or two, unmodified. Step 4: Fit other MAP sensor, injectors, wideband, making a nice base tune and see if comparable-to-stock MPG is possible on eCtune + fancy closed-loop measures. Step 5: Fit a tiny turbo and re-tune for 180 hp + economy. Step 6: Enjoy cheap-ass daily driver with über economy + torque, yeay. Any thoughts, input? Will the D15 break up as I apply a bit of boost to it? Has anyone dabbled in playing with the EGR using boost control settings? I have a hunch that some of the fuel economy comes from EGR on the standard car. Thanks :) /Allan
Regards, eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

Gaskleppie
<font color=gray>Site Admin</font><br><font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by Gaskleppie »

Great plan! You can try to let it run in ultra high AF mode by using wideband closed loop @16:1 or so to get max fuel economy. If you tune the maps with normal AF's, but setting a target closed loop at 16:1 or so, it might work. Maybe you dont even need egr. Even under light boost it must be possible to run 14:1 if you use conservative timing. I heard some stock old turbo volvo's are running closed loop lambda 1 at 5psi.
Regards, eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: The Netherlands

relic1

Post by relic1 »

IMO the D16z6 is not the best bet for this idea. VTEC-E available in: D15Z1 - OBD1 VX D16Y5 - OBD2 HX D15B - JDM counterpart to above along with various others around the world. (see the Wikipedia article) what I've dreamed of doing, and will likely never have time/money for... 3-stage D15b with small turbo, tune with P72 for mpg, power and drive-ability. http://www.b18c5eg.com/VTEC/3stagevtec.html The VTEC-E head design brings the coolant passages closer to the combustion chamber and exhaust ports allowing the higher A/F values while cruising (lean-burn)
this is my $0.02, keep in mind that I can't spell

Bindegal
<font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by Bindegal »

Oh oh there´s no way I would ever own a D16Z6. :) D15Z6 is the vtec-E found in our euro EK3 models. D15Z1 is the older vtec-e type, lower power. Sourcing bits and parts these days, as my mechanic lets me know which spots on the car is ALSO rusted out, yeah ! I have evil plans of using a GPO to switch to a different (lean lean) output from my Tech Edge wideband and activate lean-cruise when conditions are right. So... normal closed-loop (high cruise?) AFR 14.7, lean-lean cruse: AFR 17 or something. If I don´t blow it up, it could be the perfect eco-cruiser :D /Allan
Regards, eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Copenhagen, Denmark