Rad Fan help

Post and participate in general automotive tech here.

Moderator: Gaskleppie

Maddog20
http://phpbb3styles.net

Rad Fan help

Post by Maddog20 »

Every once in a while my car would get hot during city driving. Once I turned the heater on the temps cooled rapidly. I replaced the thermostat and flushed the coolant system and bled. Went out drove the car pretty aggressive(15psi) no over heating. Next day drove 30 mins highway driving->pull of exit travel 3 miles(25-35mph) temps begin to rise. i jump out of the car and notice the fan was not on? When the datalogging was showing it is on. I since have ordered a FAL fan. But, I was also told I may have to wire ECU Pin A12 to the fan? I am not exactly sure what I am suppossed to due or maybe I am not fully understanding what to do Any guidance would be great! My car is Obd2B socketed for OBD1 Sorry for the long post! Also should the fan stay on the whole time the car is over the set temp the fan is set to come on? and turn off once I go below that temp? Thanks

Maddog20

Post by Maddog20 »

I also noticed in ECtune the fan is set to turn at 191* but it doesnt show an active output till 198 on the datalogger. I just went through 5 logs the fan output was flagged at 198 instead of 191.

calvin
<font color=gray>Site Admin</font><br><font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by calvin »

Weird very weird... Some cars you have to pull a wire from a12 output(ecu) to fan switch.. I have to check the output again. But it should be dead on..
Regards, eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Caribbean & Suriname aim:calvinPGMFI skype:ectune We remote connect to your laptop if you have problems. Best support in the world.

Maddog20

Post by Maddog20 »

This is a p28 ECU if it matters. Yep I just verified again 198* everytime. Even if it was wired incorrectly shouldn't the RadFc output come on at the set degree anyway? Do you want me to send you a log of this? And by switch are talking about to the fan relay?

RoadXY

Post by RoadXY »

I've converted an OBD2b car before and with his car we did had to connect a wire to the ECU. The wire was already there. Don't remember the wire color though.

calvin
<font color=gray>Site Admin</font><br><font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by calvin »

fan switch on the thermostat housing. 1 is ground and 1 is signal
Regards, eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Caribbean & Suriname aim:calvinPGMFI skype:ectune We remote connect to your laptop if you have problems. Best support in the world.

Maddog20

Post by Maddog20 »

RoadXY wrote:I've converted an OBD2b car before and with his car we did had to connect a wire to the ECU. The wire was already there. Don't remember the wire color though.
So you did add a wire? If there is a wire there why would I need to run another?

nate

Post by nate »

I believe they are saying that the wire is there you just need to re pin it into the proper location
eCtune Team

Maddog20

Post by Maddog20 »

I understand.... My issue is Ectune is set turn the fans on at 191* and the output is not being flagged until 198* Also my ECU is a Hondata P28 and it is socketed to accept OBD2B wires on the ECU so there is no conversion harness. According to my manual A20 OBD2B is the fan output so that should be the same as A12 on a p28 correct?

calvin

Post by calvin »

i'll have a look at the log send them over

Maddog20

Post by Maddog20 »

nate wrote:I believe they are saying that the wire is there you just need to re pin it into the proper location
Ok so pin A20 OBD2B may not be on pin A12. So the wire is indeed there but on the wrong pin at the ECU. I understand now I will have to check that.

Maddog20

Post by Maddog20 »

Log sent does anybody know what wires to switch on a OBD2B A20 so its on A12 OBD1?

RoadXY

Post by RoadXY »

On OBD2b it should be pin A20 On OBD1 it should be pin A12. Ground you'r wire wich was connected to OBD2b A20 and see if the fan turns on.

Maddog20

results

Post by Maddog20 »

Well i replaced the fan with a FAL and replaced the relay. All the wiring is in check. I ran the car with Fan switch hooked up and watched the datalogger at 190* the fan turns on with NO output from RadFC. So it had to be turned by fan switch. Next I disconnected the fan switch and held the RPMs at 2 grand until the temps got up to 198* at that point the RadFC was flagged and the fan turned on. My settings are to turn the fan on at 191* so maybe Ectune 7* off?

calvin

Post by calvin »

If your fanswitch goes on at 190* w/o ectune. How can ectune delay it to 198.. doesn't make sense if you know what i mean. Ecu just ground the fan switch wire. If the orginal point is 190 ecu can't delay it. Guys i'm right? Did you try what i send to u?