What the hell is up with MSD boxes on hondas?

Post and participate in general automotive tech here.

Moderator: Gaskleppie

Adam Hopkins
<font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>
http://phpbb3styles.net

Post by Adam Hopkins »

Bugermass wrote:akes me wonder if I'm missing few up due to the box
me too,

BRMS

Post by BRMS »

Ive never had any issue on MSD digital 6's. Ive actually wired up a hand full of cars with them and no problems. although, i had a customer bring me a used 6 box and i couldn't get it to perform. I do sell & install more of the cap, coil, wire setup than boxes...
Regards, Blueridge Motorsports eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Hickory, NC 828-322-9600

JD racing

Post by JD racing »

alway had them in my car but started to have problem whit mine after 2 years and since them have seen atleast 4 digital6 msd fail they act like a reve limiter wont let the car rev and now just run a stock honda coil and distrubutor and have no problem making over 600 whp and 500 wtq i run a aem ecu but i tune cars for a living seen it on all type of cars and tuning sofware looking to get ectune for the shop to tune hondas im using crome now and have some issu whit it i wouldnt put any msd stuff on my car for what i seen

Boosted K20

Post by Boosted K20 »

i've had a couple cars come in to tune with MSD ignitions. its a coin flip, sometimes i get no problems and sometimes i have to rip the entire MSD unit out. i would NEVER recommend an MSD unit to ANYONE! stock igntion ftw

Coupe-r

Post by Coupe-r »

Just something to think about. I Have heard of people having ignition break up issues with aftermarket setups like this. They couldn't figure it out, tried everything, so the loom was to blame in the end (shielding of the loom) So a new complete loom was made up and the problem went away. Weird aye! So maybe MSD just puts out a SHITLOAD of interference for the honda loom/ECU (i know its shielded anyways) but a guy i know remade his loom (better) than factory and the breakup issue went away. Think he MAY have been running coil in plug setup.

Garrett

Post by Garrett »

ncturbocivic wrote:The caps are inferior as well. They corrode quickly and wear out the rotor due to the increased distance to the pole inside the cap..
I had see it 2 times on friend car...