What the hell is up with MSD boxes on hondas?

Post and participate in general automotive tech here.

Moderator: Gaskleppie

blundar
<font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>
http://phpbb3styles.net

What the hell is up with MSD boxes on hondas?

Post by blundar »

This is the second car I've done in 2 months with a MSD 6AL, or Digital 6 on it that has behaved like a complete whackjob. The first: 9:1 81mm LS/vtec, 60-1, Hondata S300. Car was struggling to make ~290s whp with the MSD box around 15psi. Power dying around 7500 RPM. Plugs looked great - really clean, actually. Did nothing other than change distributor to a stock one from a 99 GSR, picked up ~50-60whp. After pulling some timing, car eventually made about 380whp, almost 90whp more with the stock distributor. Powerband totally different. The second (yesterday): 8.8:1 84mm superdeck sleeved B16 w/ LS crank+rods (effectively, LSvtec), T3T04E, eCtune. Car was making 360whp at ~21psi. Plugs looked good - AMAZING really. Boost controller (Profec B new style with knob) was acting funny - only making 20psi at 100% set with 10psi spring. AFRs ~11.8:1 at 20psi according to dyno wideband in tailpipe. Power dying sharply about 7500RPM like it hit a wall. Timing adjustments (7 degree spread, +2 -5) had very little (~15whp @ 360whp total) difference. Car made 300whp at 10/11psi. 60whp from 10psi of boost seems silly. Checked for boost leaks quickly - none obvious. Come to think of it, I also had some whackjob problems with a MSD box on a super high compression NA car on Crome a year or two ago. Everything about the motor said 230-250whp but for the life of it, it would only make low 220s power wise. And timing changes had virtually no effect on the top end. Hmm. Anyone else have any odd experiences with MSD boxes? I'm at the point of refusing to tune any cars that have them. :evil:
eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Cincinnati, Ohio, USA \"That motor's hit!\" - me

Synoptic

Post by Synoptic »

Never had to tune hi-powered honda with msd box. Only low power ones (250whp and less) so I could not see any problems. I do own a 6al that I use in my crx. It died once and got it fixed. I also run the blaster ss coil. Maybe this summer I could compare between using the full msd system vs full oem one. On the other hand, I once tuned a car that had the MSD capacitor only with the big resistor. I had the guy remove that because of power and spikes problem while tuning. MSD is good for V8 IMO.
Synoptic Tuning Regards, eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Maddog20

Post by Maddog20 »

Well Dave after reading this I am glad I'm going with the M&W Pro10. :D

Civic Tsi

Post by Civic Tsi »

Never had a problem with mine, it has been like 8 years. But I did heard people having problem with it.
eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Qc, Qc, Canada

xenocron

Post by xenocron »

Had plenty of issues with them...all of them digust me. Had a D-Series wacking out with timing, come to find out the MSD box was firing the primary about 16 degrees late from when it should have...who knows???
Regards, Xenocron Tuning Solutions eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Ringwood, NJ / Hillburn, NY U.S.A. www.xenocron.com DIY ECU Chipping, Fuel Management Parts and more...

calvin
<font color=gray>Site Admin</font><br><font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by calvin »

best to remove it? Just baster coil?
Regards, eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Caribbean & Suriname aim:calvinPGMFI skype:ectune We remote connect to your laptop if you have problems. Best support in the world.

Civic Tsi

Post by Civic Tsi »

I would say so. I bought mine mainly for the 2-step at the time.
eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Qc, Qc, Canada

sewell94

Post by sewell94 »

The msd boxes suck, i do have a blaster coil on my car,and works pretty well, I've just been to cheap to buy a crane fireball coil.

Bindegal

Post by Bindegal »

Are the simple MSD coils/caps okay, or should people just stick to standard Honda parts in good condition? /Allan

ncturbocivic

Post by ncturbocivic »

The caps are inferior as well. They corrode quickly and wear out the rotor due to the increased distance to the pole inside the cap. I personally went through 4 caps and 6 first gen. Blaster SS coils. MSD comp'd me on the last coil after giving them resistance readings of everything in the system for the 6th time.

Bindegal

Post by Bindegal »

Thanks for the warning - I´ll make sure to stay clear! :D /Allan

Bugermass
<font color=gray>Site Admin</font><br><font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by Bugermass »

I have a 6AL with a Pro cap and rotor and a blaster coil and havn't had any issues with it on my CRX
Chris Delgado Tun'd Performance Houston Texas 713-962-8262

ncturbocivic

Post by ncturbocivic »

Did you mod the cap in any way? I drilled an extra .032 hole in the bottom of my last cap before selling the whole assembly. I was told that adding the extra vent would help with ozone buildup. I dont have any info on whether ozone can cause corrosion though so I am not sure if it helped.

turbine tuning

Post by turbine tuning »

i had bad experiences with digital 6+ on my car. car gained 40 whp after taking the box off and making no changes to the map or setup.

Bugermass

Post by Bugermass »

akes me wonder if I'm missing few up due to the box
Chris Delgado Tun'd Performance Houston Texas 713-962-8262