Tuning on Load Dyno- Dyno Dynamics

Post and participate in general automotive tech here.

Moderator: Gaskleppie

turbine tuning
http://phpbb3styles.net

Tuning on Load Dyno- Dyno Dynamics

Post by turbine tuning »

I was testing out a car on a load based dyno for the first time. It was a dyno dynamics. I have a question about loading it now. The dyno operator held it at 60mph which was roughly 4500 rpm's. Now can i use this load to tune all cells before 4500 rpms? The dyno operator told me in order to tune 4500rpm's I must hold it at full throttle. But the thing about that is I was just tuning part throttle. I don't get how the dyno works and how I can take full advantage of tuning on it. Thanks.

Adam Hopkins
<font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by Adam Hopkins »

I like to start off by locking it at 20 mph, then put the car through various loads, Meaning ill hold the throttle at 10% and then tune tel cell that are affected. the go to 20% and so on. You do not want to put a huge load on the dyno for a long period of time because thats not easy on your car or the dyno equipment. I then increase speed and repeat the process over and over again. This lets you tune your car at various speeds at various loads so you can get to cells that are hard to hold steady on the street. Thats why they are better :)

JaredKaragen

Post by JaredKaragen »

I personally am saving for a portable Dyno dynamics unit; One of the kind you can put in your flatbed truck =P Lots of cash, but to me would be worth it.
95 Sol Si : D16z6 : TD04H-13C 74 Civic 1200 : 100% Stock

turbine tuning

Post by turbine tuning »

Adam Hopkins wrote:I like to start off by locking it at 20 mph, then put the car through various loads, Meaning ill hold the throttle at 10% and then tune tel cell that are affected. the go to 20% and so on. You do not want to put a huge load on the dyno for a long period of time because thats not easy on your car or the dyno equipment. I then increase speed and repeat the process over and over again. This lets you tune your car at various speeds at various loads so you can get to cells that are hard to hold steady on the street. Thats why they are better :)
ok let's say you lock it at 20mph and hold it at full throttle. i am thinking that in real life driving i would never go into those cells. correct? so basically maybe i should tune up to 40% throttle each time i load it? for example load at 20 mph, then 40 mph, then 60 mph? hold it from maybe 10% throttle and keep tuning until 40-50% throttle? maybe a little more throttle as the speed goes up? am i making any sense lol? i just got confused by the dyno operator. he really doesn't know anything about cars and he said if i'm not at full throttle during a load held pass, then there is no load being applied and i am just spinning in free air lol.

Adam Hopkins

Post by Adam Hopkins »

you should not need to hold load at 100 percent throttle at 20 mph. Stop at like 50 or 60. I only do 100% on full pulls.

Synoptic

Post by Synoptic »

talking of loading dyno. If you want to buy a dyno and can afford good money, have a lok to the Dynapack. that's what I have. it uses 4amps on 110v and is precise within 0.03% of error. meaning each pull will be measured the same. so if you see differences, thats means, there is a difference.
Synoptic Tuning Regards, eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada

turbine tuning

Post by turbine tuning »

i bet dynapacks are great and i wish i could tune on one but for now all i have near me is a dyno dynamics. i am so used to dynojets but i really prefer the dyno dynamics after using it now.

xenocron

Post by xenocron »

I have a Dyno Dynamics... Your operator can lock it in at different speeds. So for part throttle you are going to want to be in 2nd or 3rd gear and hold the load at 20 mph. Increase the throttle slightly while holding at 20 mph to access all of the load columns. Once they are good, increase to 24 mph...and repeat. Increase 4 mph increments until you are at the ceiling of your low cam maps. Make sure to keep an eye on coolant temps. A good fan in front of the car and keeping the heat on full blast in the car helps quite a bit.
Regards, Xenocron Tuning Solutions eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Ringwood, NJ / Hillburn, NY U.S.A. www.xenocron.com DIY ECU Chipping, Fuel Management Parts and more...

Synoptic

Post by Synoptic »

xenocron wrote: A good fan in front of the car and keeping the heat on full blast in the car helps quite a bit.
Yeah, and if it's a HB you tune, open up the HATCH, makes hot air escape, you will feel less dizzy on very hot days !
Synoptic Tuning Regards, eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada