itr IM on B16A

Post and participate in general automotive tech here.

Moderator: Gaskleppie

civic4g
http://phpbb3styles.net

itr IM on B16A

Post by civic4g »

Hi What you guys have to say about this mod? I've been searching HT and it's a common opinion that put the itr intake manifold on a stock B16A will only bring some minor gains at top end, sacrifying the rest of the powerband. In a B16A with stage 1 cams (Toda spec A in my case), will this mod be a more clear improvement over stock IM? Or it's better to wait till I move to a 1.8 liter block? Thanks in advance

HiProfile

Post by HiProfile »

The B16 already has weak lowend numbers, and the ITR manifold won't net enough topend to warrant getting it. The B16 in all forms has a decently flat torque curve all through vtec, which is why there's not much improvement. I'm guessing its an NA motor? You'd need an excellent I/H/E setup to make the ITR IM worth it.

Bindegal
<font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by Bindegal »

I have seen a number of attempts like this. Thus far I have not seen any improvements unless the rest of the engine has a pretty high tune. Waste of time and money on a near-stock engine. Somehow people usually expect a little old B16 perform magically like a B18 just because the IM is swapped... /Allan

RoadXY

Post by RoadXY »

And in combination with an good exhaust, ITR cams and valve springs and an good retune?

Adam Hopkins

Post by Adam Hopkins »

RoadXY wrote:And in combination with an good exhaust, ITR cams and valve springs and an good retune?
The combination = You have spent a lot of money on stock parts and should have pieced together a turbo kit. :roll:

civic4g

Post by civic4g »

The combination = You have spent a lot of money on stock parts and should have pieced together a turbo kit. :roll:
Don't go that way. What for you is the best solution don't really has to apply for everybody else. I'll give you an example: In my country is against the law to modify to cars. i kown many cases of people who get ticketed just for having aftermarket intakes. i wonder what would happen if the cops see an turbo under the hood. It would be funny. So it's normal in my country that people to avoid problems, prefer to mantain \"low profile\" and use \"stealth\" parts that are hardly identified by the cops as being non-stock. For example, I could perfectly already have bought an aftermarket header but i've choose to buy an itr one, even knowing that's not the best performer, to keep stock look . To see how ridiculus the laws are in my country, suppose that you need to change brakes, you can put the cheapest rotors pads combo (most likely worst than oem) that you don't have problems with cops (since they are stock size rotors) but if you feel the need to improve brake performance and upgrade with a bigger brembo / ap racing kit (for example), you are asking for trouble. Regards

Adam Hopkins

Post by Adam Hopkins »

I was just messing around, I really did not intend to offend you. That really sucks about your country's laws. Sound really close to what California is like. I think you might see some slight gains, nothing too drastic. Good luck with your build.

civic4g

Post by civic4g »

I really did not intend to offend you.
I know and you didn't, I just felt the need to explain that there are cases where going FI not only depends on us, unfortnetly. :wink: In relation to the itr im, i've already bought it (plus itr tb), maybe in this phase of the build i will only send the itr tb to maxbore.com and port match it to p30 manifold. I wll keep the p73 im to when i move to 1.8L block (poor man's itr engine build on sight) I only start thinking on upgrade the tb after noticed that map value was decreasing in top end, check graph: Image Goes from 1017mbar to 973mbar, around 5% loss. I think this means i've a restiction in intake system, although i still didn't test if the TB is the restriction cause or if it's somewhere before it. This occurs in every car? can be minimized? (dont tell me to boost it :P )

Gaskleppie
<font color=gray>Site Admin</font><br><font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by Gaskleppie »

did an ITR today with these numbers: 1002mbar @ 2600rpm dropping to 950@8000rpm so thats also about 5%. Car had a CAI from AEM and a desent 2.25\" exhaust. I have a stock B16 with a ported 65mm ITR TB and intake manifold in my car right now. I can test if you want.
Attachments
Stock B16c6 with AEM CAI and 2,25&amp;quot; exhaust
Stock B16c6 with AEM CAI and 2,25&quot; exhaust
test.JPG (168.57 KiB) Viewed 5835 times
Regards, eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: The Netherlands

civic4g

Post by civic4g »

I have a stock B16 with a ported 65mm ITR TB and intake manifold in my car right now. I can test if you want.
That would be great, but take your time it's nothing urgent.

HiProfile

Post by HiProfile »

I can understand your reaction to the statement regarding the turbo, but stock-looking or not, there are sometimes better ways to spend money. You also have to look at what area-under-the-curve means. If you're spending 50% or more time in the RPM range a part helps, its benificial. Since an ITR IM doesn't help much until 8k rpm, I would seriously doubt it will help on the track, let alone on the street. The ITR IM may benifit you over a wider range due to your improved I/H/E, but that probably isn't enough IMO. If all you want are peak numbers, by all means buy it.

civic4g

Post by civic4g »

Any news Gaskleppie?

Gaskleppie
<font color=gray>Site Admin</font><br><font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by Gaskleppie »

I tested a other interesting B16a JDM with very nice ad-ons. It had a Hytech header, PerformerX manifold, 65mmTB, CAI on a stock engine. Interesting to see that the vacuum almost stayed the same during the run! This guy HAD a ITR manifold and a 70mm TB, but bought the PerformerX and 65mm TB. Peak power stayed the same but the mid range was a lot stronger. Nice manifold!
Attachments
vacuumtest.JPG
vacuumtest.JPG (282.55 KiB) Viewed 5770 times
Regards, eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: The Netherlands

shogun

Post by shogun »

Image Uploaded with ImageShack.us Injectors capacity seems to be exceeded. Is everything in the injection system totaly stock(oem) ? Did you notice the same tendancy to injector limitation without the performer X?