overheating.....sometimes

Post and participate in general automotive tech here.

Moderator: Gaskleppie

zex_cool
http://phpbb3styles.net

overheating.....sometimes

Post by zex_cool »

few days ago i went to tune the new e85 fuel. did 6-7[3rd AND 4th gear] pulls with about 10min between each one and the temp never went over 198*. yesterday i did a quick 3rd gear pull an noticed my ECT were climbing slowly after. it went up as high as 220*. i kept driving and it fell to 200* after a few min [no more then 4,5min]. both days temp was relatively the same at around 50-60* this is car is my DD for now and the temp never gets over 194-196* driving around and getting on it here and there. only time the overflow tank gets full was few weeks ago when i was at the track and yesterday after that little run. there is some headgasket looking stuff in the overflow[no oil/coolant mixing anywhere] but im thinking it could be from last year when my old motor blew one. ideas ? btw, bone stock b16a; holset he351cw @12psi; maximum of 16.75* of timing.....

Bugermass
<font color=gray>Site Admin</font><br><font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by Bugermass »

Watch your ECTs and see at what temps the fans kick on, and let it cylce on/off several times, I've seen a few cars that the fan switches in the waternecks were going out and the fan would come on at like 195 or so 3-4 times in a row, then somtimes it would come on at like 215.. Once those things start to fail they will intermittantly turn on too late.
Chris Delgado Tun'd Performance Houston Texas 713-962-8262

zex_cool

Post by zex_cool »

i think my failed already. lol i have a fan switch inside the car. its on all the time, unless its really cold outside. also forgot to add, i have a dual core radiator with a smaller size slim fan.

JaredKaragen

Post by JaredKaragen »

I would do a compression test to rule out HG... cause it's stock headbolts so..... just an idea... or maybe airflow problems... needing some sort of dam to go under where the OEM front air dam was.
95 Sol Si : D16z6 : TD04H-13C 74 Civic 1200 : 100% Stock

zex_cool

Post by zex_cool »

did a comp test again jst because; #1 - 180 #2 - 185 #3 - 180 #4 - 190 car was fully warmed up and all cylinders took ~5 revolutions.

JaredKaragen

Post by JaredKaragen »

When you see the temps climb again, turn on your heater full-blast, see if they go down....
95 Sol Si : D16z6 : TD04H-13C 74 Civic 1200 : 100% Stock

fah
<font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by fah »

Its probably your EGT. The coolant temperature sensor (2-wire) goes to the ecu is at the front of the engine closer to the exhaust. If your EGT's are high the front of the block will get hot, and the ecu will see a high coolant temp while the gauge in the car is reading normal, this gauge gets the reading from the single wire sensor locate in the centre of the head under the distributor. When you log the high temps does the temp gauge on the dash read higher than normal?

calvin
<font color=gray>Site Admin</font><br><font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by calvin »

could be eGT
Regards, eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Caribbean & Suriname aim:calvinPGMFI skype:ectune We remote connect to your laptop if you have problems. Best support in the world.

zex_cool

Post by zex_cool »

could be. i have an egt sensor installed but i jst havnt got around to installing the gauge so i can actually read it. :oops: i also havent had this happen in a while....even while at the track with temps around 95F+.