New laptop - locked out

Support forum for eCtune software.

Moderator: Gaskleppie

2kCivicSi
http://phpbb3styles.net

New laptop - locked out

Post by 2kCivicSi »

I'm already emailing Calvin on this but don't have a solution to the problem yet. I finally got upgraded laptop.. new Dell Precision M90. old laptop is traded in. I tried installing the installer version for 0.0.2.o r6 but can't get into Ectune long enough to register it.. it crashes immediately after the splash screen shows. If I try to copy my old license.xml file into Ectune, it opens but gives me error 004h telling me to email ectune.. when I click OK to that, it closes immediately. Is there something I did wrong? Or something I should do that will allow me to register and continue? Maybe you should make a Register applet separate from the main program? Or when the program opens with no valid license, it require you to register rather than crash or simply close..

Joey Misanthropy
<font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by Joey Misanthropy »

The licence file is tied to your machine ID, which is unique to each laptop. You're SOL until Calvin pushes a few buttons on his end.
Regards, Joseph Davis eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Asheville, NC USA

2kCivicSi

Post by 2kCivicSi »

the part where I seem to be really screwed is I can't even get in far enough to click 'register' to get the new license...

z31

Post by z31 »

Have you tried to get a hold of Calvin on any of his messengers like msn, aim, skype? He's never left me hanging and he's always been extremely helpful. I'm sure he'll get this fixed very quickly. When did you send the email anyways?

calvin
<font color=gray>Site Admin</font><br><font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by calvin »

reinstall laptop and try again. try on an other pc. then you will see it works
Regards, eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Caribbean & Suriname aim:calvinPGMFI skype:ectune We remote connect to your laptop if you have problems. Best support in the world.

2kCivicSi

Post by 2kCivicSi »

unfortunately, reinstall on this laptop isn't an option. It's work laptop. I have all Windows Updates installed... .net 1.0, 1.1, 2.0, 3.0, etc.. everything updated.
Attachments
main app at crash
main app at crash
ectune.crash.JPG (99.31 KiB) Viewed 5878 times
error details
error details
ectune.crash1.JPG (51.72 KiB) Viewed 5878 times
more details
more details
ectune.crash2.JPG (18.19 KiB) Viewed 5878 times

sohcd16y8

Post by sohcd16y8 »

Take your old license out of your ectune folder and will will run as a datalogger again. Then request a new license.

2kCivicSi

Post by 2kCivicSi »

I did take the license out. With the old license in, I only get an ECTune error (004h) and the application closes normally. With no license, I get the above crash. Aside from the applications my MIS dept installed before I got it, the laptop was fresh out of the box from Dell. They are the same applications (mostly) that I had on my previous laptop, with the exception of Office 2007. Getting all the work applications reinstalled is a 4 hour babysitting job - they aren't going to let me wipe the drive very easily..

Bindegal
<font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by Bindegal »

The weird thing is, I can fire up eCtune no problem on a Vista preloaded Thinkpad and HP laptop, no problem. My $0.02: -Make sure you have admin rights. -Disable UAC. -Uninstall eCtune. -Delete eCtune folder. -Reinstall eCtune. -UnZip update over original files. -Don´t bother copying the old license. You need a new one anyway. -Start it up and see what happens... /Allan

2kCivicSi

Post by 2kCivicSi »

This isn't Vista... it's Xp Pro. And I have full Admin rights. (Add/remove/change settings, etc..) Is there still some sort of User Account Control I need to be worried about? What update(s) are there? I have a fresh copy of 0.0.2.0 r6 installer from the server.. When I tried to put the update in, every file has same time-stamp and size..

JaredKaragen

Post by JaredKaragen »

Completely uninstall and remove old license (thus deleting eCtune folder after uninstall). Once done, reboot, then install eCtune again, this still causes the program to crash? sounds very odd if so; A reboot can do wonderous things in XP; Vista normally doesn't need it anymore.
95 Sol Si : D16z6 : TD04H-13C 74 Civic 1200 : 100% Stock

nate
<font color=gray>Site Admin</font><br><font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by nate »

I had the same thing a while back and was not able to resolve it until I reinstalled windows completely. Even though you uninstall eCtune I don't believe the uninstaller has been updated to remove ALL the components, and therefore a uninstall/reinstall of eCt does not fix. We really need to get the installer 100% so hopefully things like this in the future won't be so tough... That's my .02c anyway...
eCtune Team

calvin

Post by calvin »

that is what i said too.. I think it has much to do with the encryption program i use
Regards, eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Caribbean & Suriname aim:calvinPGMFI skype:ectune We remote connect to your laptop if you have problems. Best support in the world.

2kCivicSi

Post by 2kCivicSi »

If you know the names of the files used... can you email me so that I can remove them manually? Barring I purposefully crash my laptop, I won't be able to do a full reinstall..

calvin

Post by calvin »

well i never found out what nathans problem was.. So i cannot tell u