Ostrich suddenly unpaired

Support forum for eCtune software.

Moderator: Gaskleppie

Synoptic
<font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>
http://phpbb3styles.net

Post by Synoptic »

I think this is due to some bad FTD232R chip inside the Ostrich. If you and calvin can talk to craig moates, he'll certainly send you a new ostrich (maybe a demon ?) to fix the problem. I had this exact problem hapening on another device that used the same FTDI chip (usb controller). The chip was losing it's configuration from time to time.
Synoptic Tuning Regards, eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Bugermass
<font color=gray>Site Admin</font><br><font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by Bugermass »

Sounds like an ostrich issue not eCtune.
Chris Delgado Tun'd Performance Houston Texas 713-962-8262

Gaskleppie
<font color=gray>Site Admin</font><br><font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by Gaskleppie »

It seems to me that the ostrich is losing its data. So if software like eCtune checks some things like serial key's on the wiped ostrich before connecting it will block. The question is: Why is the ostrich software corrupt after a restart? Normaly this happens when the ostrich battery is bad or disconnected for a second. Its not the laptop software cause that one was not connected. So that leaves the car or the ecu itself. Is it soldered properly? Do you have good grounds? I dont think you should blame eCtune.... You should thank Calvin for giving you 12 times a new key! I know lots of software company's that are not that generous!
Regards, eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: The Netherlands

ricardo_v

Post by ricardo_v »

pmed calvin on how i can get the ostrich checked out. I checked the wiring an the ecu and couldn't find anything wrong. I will have it checked by someone else. I personaly also think it's the ostrich because if there was a problem with the wiring or the ecu I would have also gotten problems when i was still driving on a chip instead of the ostrich. I just hope's this problem is sorted soon.

Gaskleppie

Post by Gaskleppie »

I personaly also think it's the ostrich because if there was a problem with the wiring or the ecu I would have also gotten problems when i was still driving on a chip instead of the ostrich.
I think you are wrong on this one. A chip cannot be erased that easily, a Ostrich certainly can! So it can still be your ecu or car's electronics. I would start with a different ecu and monitor the battery voltage at the ecu. If you got a bad regulator, the weirdest things can happen.

Bugermass

Post by Bugermass »

I used to have this issue with a transtronic romulator.. It would just loose the map randomly.. EMU devices are sensitive to all kinds of stuff.. Do you have a MSD setup or non resistor spark plugs? these can introduce alot of electrical noise/interfearance .. Never seen it wipe out an ostrich, but I have seen it cause an ostrich to glitch at higher RPMs on multiple occasions and on multiple ostriches..
Chris Delgado Tun'd Performance Houston Texas 713-962-8262

slick

Post by slick »

when i got my ostrich it was not holding the cal. i open it and to my surprise the battery pin was not soldered. 2 sec. probleme solved it was easy to see

ramaine

Post by ramaine »

Gaskleppie wrote: I dont think you should blame eCtune.... You should thank Calvin for giving you 12 times a new key! I know lots of software company's that are not that generous!
I can't remember ever blaming eCtune for this issue that i am having. I will be checking the things that you have mentioned starting with the Ostrich. Calvin has been very generous in sending me 12 license but remember Gaskleppie I have had this issue 12 times for a product that i bought. Thanks for all the options everyone i will be trying until i get it resolved. Calvin thanks for all the help you have offered so far.
Fuck Milk!! Got Boost?

Gaskleppie

Post by Gaskleppie »

ok, sorry for that... What ignition system are you running? What plugs? Some systems can give pretty nasty distortion what can effect the Ostrich. Have you tried a different ostrich? If everything looks ok, and the problem is still there, I advise you to sent the ostrich back from were you bought it.

slick

Post by slick »

it just append to me 5 min of tuning and solid cell ostrich just unpaire for no reason easy fix but it not funny to use crome to return home its the first time it append

calvin

Post by calvin »

battery? the serial number is coded in the ostrich firmware.. it only resets if you use other software(possible) or wipe it... I can't see anything else going on.
Regards, eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Caribbean & Suriname aim:calvinPGMFI skype:ectune We remote connect to your laptop if you have problems. Best support in the world.

Gaskleppie

Post by Gaskleppie »

Calvin, If the serial is coded in the Ostrich firmware, why do they have to get a new key to get it going again? Same ostrich serial + same laptop = same eCtune key right? So if you do the pairing different, it should be possible to get the whole thing working again without asking for a new eCtune key.

ricardo_v

Post by ricardo_v »

Gaskleppie wrote: I think you are wrong on this one. A chip cannot be erased that easily, a Ostrich certainly can! So it can still be your ecu or car's electronics. I would start with a different ecu and monitor the battery voltage at the ecu. If you got a bad regulator, the weirdest things can happen.
I checked the battery voltage and it stays at 15V when the car's running. Soon I'm getting a different ecu to test with. I don't know if i told this before but the problem only occurs after i turned the engine off and when I turn it back on the ostrich is erased. But this doesn't always happpen. sometimes i can start it 20 times before the problem occurs, sometimes 2 times. But as long as the engine is running there is no problem.

Synoptic
<font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by Synoptic »

You guys should be talking to Craig Moates about this.
Synoptic Tuning Regards, eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada

danz

Post by danz »

this happened to me last night at the track. not very fun! Ill shoot Moates an email as well. Thanks for the help so far Calvin... I hope my emails found you before bed time! :)