Couple questions... eCtune horribly inconsistant!

Support forum for eCtune software.

Moderator: Gaskleppie

Hybrid96EK
http://phpbb3styles.net

Post by Hybrid96EK »

Orthello wrote:
Hybrid96EK wrote:.... I see the conclusion is the retarded timing seems to help the car "build" boost... am I correct this is how the anti lag feature works?
Combustion isn't completed while the exhaust ports open. This is what happens with to much retard. Combustion continues in the exhaust and thus in the turbo itself. This makes the turbo spool up more then you want to and also generating a lot more heat. Anti lag indeed does something simular.
ok. So essentially I am allowing some of my air/fuel mix to exit the chamber prematurely. Which explains why there is such a dramatic difference in the power between the two timing maps. One is allowing me to transfer more of the energy from the combustion into the crank, while the other is transferring only a portion of the energy and then allowing the other amount to exit the exhaust valves... I always thought retarding the timing would do the opposite.. Starts the combustion process too early in the stroke and thus begins to push down on the piston as it still wants to rise in the stroke..

ckretvix

Post by ckretvix »

Retarding timing means ignition happening LATER. Its a little confusing. When someone says there \"adding\" timing, that means their making ignition happen sooner. You tune by adding timing until the torque curve starts to fall off or you start to detonate, and back off a few degrees. Of course you cant really do that unless your on a dyno.

borat

Post by borat »

Hybrid96EK wrote:I always thought retarding the timing would do the opposite.. Starts the combustion process too early in the stroke and thus begins to push down on the piston as it still wants to rise in the stroke..
The ignition values you see on the maps stand for the degree of ignition ADVANCE you are giving the engine, meaning it ignites however many degrees before TDC. The fewer degrees before TDC (timing retard), the closer the piston will be to TDC and the later in the stroke combustion will actually happen. Generally speaking, of course. Things like high load and high rpm actually cause combustion to happen faster (more air and fuel), so timing must be retarded for optimum power. It's complicated, to say the least. :wink: Ignition tuning is where tuners really earn their money.
99 Prelude Base 5spd JRSC ~7 psi

Hybrid96EK

Post by Hybrid96EK »

Little update I figured would be in order. With the new timing maps things seem to be working very well. Idle is great, cold start has some room for improvement but overall drivability is nice. I was shooting for around 12.2:1 under boost. For now, its only running 5psi with a slight creep up to 7-8 by redline. Eventually I am aiming for 18psi. What is a safe number to shoot for in terms of a/f ratios? Thanks again.

ckretvix

Post by ckretvix »

Hybrid96EK wrote:Little update I figured would be in order. With the new timing maps things seem to be working very well. Idle is great, cold start has some room for improvement but overall drivability is nice. I was shooting for around 12.2:1 under boost. For now, its only running 5psi with a slight creep up to 7-8 by redline. Eventually I am aiming for 18psi. What is a safe number to shoot for in terms of a/f ratios? Thanks again.
11.5-12

Adam Hopkins
<font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by Adam Hopkins »

Anything over 11.5 is over kill and you have pretty much gained all the cooling effects you can by running it richer. So the previous poster was 100% correct in saying 11.5-12.0.
Regards, Adam Hopkins eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Murfreesboro, Tn, USA