Couple questions... eCtune horribly inconsistant!

Support forum for eCtune software.

Moderator: Gaskleppie

Hybrid96EK
http://phpbb3styles.net

Couple questions... eCtune horribly inconsistant!

Post by Hybrid96EK »

I'm not sure what the heck I am doing wrong here. When I setup my base map, there is no selection for Delphi 550 injectors. I used RC 550's, those seemed to be the closest match in terms of cc and resistance... USDM P72 with P2P maps. Disabled the O2 heater and IABS. I wound up with an offset of 35.00FV and a final multiplier of .436 to get the car to idle at 14.7. Ok. I went to drive a little and see where my A/F ratios were... First, the reading in eCtune is all over the place. I can't get it to show me a steady reading for the life of me. The wideband is an LM-1, its display reads steady. I had to set the wideband offset to 2.5 just to get the readings in the ballpark. Second, I am noticing the wideband is never consistant. I can get an idle of 14.7, seems fine. I go to drive and something gets screwed up in the ECU, the car idles rough and the the wideband is showing me something like 20:1, lean as hell... a few seconds of idling and it gets worse and worse.. I bpli the throttle and it seems to come back and shows me 14.7 or so and idles again. Its completely random..? Third, at a standstill, I can rev the car gradually to get A/F readings... as I get around 7% throttle, the car starts to lean out with no change in throttle position. The car will eventually get so bad it barely runs or dies. Its not consistant, sometimes it reads fine, other times it leans out... What the heck is going on here? Did I screw myself by selecting the wrong injectors for the battery offsets? I thought those only effected mainly starting.

Gaskleppie
<font color=gray>Site Admin</font><br><font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by Gaskleppie »

closed loop is still on? btw, an offset of 2.5 must you realize that there is something wrong in the wiring, ground etc etc... btw2, If you got an innovate, use the serial output of the wideband and you got dead on readings without any offset.
Regards, eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: The Netherlands

Hybrid96EK

Post by Hybrid96EK »

Gaskleppie wrote:closed loop is still on? btw, an offset of 2.5 must you realize that there is something wrong in the wiring, ground etc etc... btw2, If you got an innovate, use the serial output of the wideband and you got dead on readings without any offset.
Serial output eh? Well how the hell does that work? Use the serial cable you normally program the wideband with on the AUX out port? I neved disabled closed loop in the options... Do I need to?

borat

Post by borat »

Hybrid96EK wrote: Serial output eh? Well how the hell does that work? Use the serial cable you normally program the wideband with on the AUX out port?
Yes, that's right. It's in the wideband settings, just choose the correct COM port.
Hybrid96EK wrote: I neved disabled closed loop in the options... Do I need to?
You have to disable it while tuning, so that you know that it's reading off the maps the whole time and not doing other fuel adjustments.
99 Prelude Base 5spd JRSC ~7 psi

ckretvix

Post by ckretvix »

disable closed loop, disable ve correction + closeloop

Bindegal
<font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by Bindegal »

When you have the wideband settings (and wiring!) right, and closedloop disable - you might want to take a look at the battery compensation table. 5 minutes of fine tuning this table can really make a WORLD of difference in the consistency of your AFR. Even if your particular type of injector was on the list already, fine tuning the table can be useful as no two cars, their electrical system and fuel pumps are exactly alike. The trick is to induce extra load on the electrical system, for example by turning on or off fans+light at the same time. If the table is set up correctly, AFR will remain constant. I have had a hard time getting consistent AFR´s on cars with remotely placed batteries though. In these cases I blame the car, not eCtune :) /Allan
Regards, eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

calvin
<font color=gray>Site Admin</font><br><font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Re: Couple questions... eCtune horribly inconsistant!

Post by calvin »

Hybrid96EK wrote:I'm not sure what the heck I am doing wrong here. When I setup my base map, there is no selection for Delphi 550 injectors. I used RC 550's, those seemed to be the closest match in terms of cc and resistance... USDM P72 with P2P maps. Disabled the O2 heater and IABS. I wound up with an offset of 35.00FV and a final multiplier of .436 to get the car to idle at 14.7. Ok. I went to drive a little and see where my A/F ratios were... First, the reading in eCtune is all over the place. I can't get it to show me a steady reading for the life of me. The wideband is an LM-1, its display reads steady. I had to set the wideband offset to 2.5 just to get the readings in the ballpark. Second, I am noticing the wideband is never consistant. I can get an idle of 14.7, seems fine. I go to drive and something gets screwed up in the ECU, the car idles rough and the the wideband is showing me something like 20:1, lean as hell... a few seconds of idling and it gets worse and worse.. I bpli the throttle and it seems to come back and shows me 14.7 or so and idles again. Its completely random..? Third, at a standstill, I can rev the car gradually to get A/F readings... as I get around 7% throttle, the car starts to lean out with no change in throttle position. The car will eventually get so bad it barely runs or dies. Its not consistant, sometimes it reads fine, other times it leans out... What the heck is going on here? Did I screw myself by selecting the wrong injectors for the battery offsets? I thought those only effected mainly starting.
you have the famous innovate ground problem. try using the innovate serial sream i have built in. you will have the same AFR on the laptop as display. you can leave stock battery tables and tune them by loosing alt belt.
Regards, eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Caribbean & Suriname aim:calvinPGMFI skype:ectune We remote connect to your laptop if you have problems. Best support in the world.

Hybrid96EK

Re: Couple questions... eCtune horribly inconsistant!

Post by Hybrid96EK »

calvin wrote:
Hybrid96EK wrote:I'm not sure what the heck I am doing wrong here. When I setup my base map, there is no selection for Delphi 550 injectors. I used RC 550's, those seemed to be the closest match in terms of cc and resistance... USDM P72 with P2P maps. Disabled the O2 heater and IABS. I wound up with an offset of 35.00FV and a final multiplier of .436 to get the car to idle at 14.7. Ok. I went to drive a little and see where my A/F ratios were... First, the reading in eCtune is all over the place. I can't get it to show me a steady reading for the life of me. The wideband is an LM-1, its display reads steady. I had to set the wideband offset to 2.5 just to get the readings in the ballpark. Second, I am noticing the wideband is never consistant. I can get an idle of 14.7, seems fine. I go to drive and something gets screwed up in the ECU, the car idles rough and the the wideband is showing me something like 20:1, lean as hell... a few seconds of idling and it gets worse and worse.. I bpli the throttle and it seems to come back and shows me 14.7 or so and idles again. Its completely random..? Third, at a standstill, I can rev the car gradually to get A/F readings... as I get around 7% throttle, the car starts to lean out with no change in throttle position. The car will eventually get so bad it barely runs or dies. Its not consistant, sometimes it reads fine, other times it leans out... What the heck is going on here? Did I screw myself by selecting the wrong injectors for the battery offsets? I thought those only effected mainly starting.
you have the famous innovate ground problem. try using the innovate serial sream i have built in. you will have the same AFR on the laptop as display. you can leave stock battery tables and tune them by loosing alt belt.
Alright! Thanks a TON. I got the serial wideband setup and made a new map with closed loop turned off. So far, so good. Couple questions left. I can't for the life of me find where the a/f ratios are logged. I want to view what is being seen in datalogging, without that its kind of useless to tune, no? :) One more question I think I already know the answer to. eCtune has no "auto tune" type of feature, am I correct? I know people hate it because it tends to screw up the maps, but it sure is a nice thing to have to get your maps in the ballpark when you are driving around tuning solo if you know what I mean..

Bugermass

Post by Bugermass »

nope no autotune. Thats what the AFR tables are for ;).. Just drive around a bit, log, then make changes.. Easy as PIE..
Chris Delgado Tun'd Performance Houston Texas 713-962-8262

Hybrid96EK

Post by Hybrid96EK »

Bugermass wrote:nope no autotune. Thats what the AFR tables are for ;).. Just drive around a bit, log, then make changes.. Easy as PIE..
Edit.. nevermind, I found the answer to where the logged A/F ratio tables are and how to change/set the target values. I think I got this down somewhat. Now I need to log some values and make some changes.

Hybrid96EK

Post by Hybrid96EK »

Ok.. new discovery.. When I let off the throttle and engine brake to come to a stop, the car is jerking. I can see the wideband going from rich to lean, rich to lean.. almost like its shutting the injectors off, then on, off then on. Any ideas?

Orthello

Post by Orthello »

set the fuelcut MAP value a little higher

calvin

Post by calvin »

thanks orthello
Regards, eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Caribbean & Suriname aim:calvinPGMFI skype:ectune We remote connect to your laptop if you have problems. Best support in the world.

Hybrid96EK

Post by Hybrid96EK »

Alright. I got the bucking issue under control. Much better. Again, thanks a lot. Couple observations in case anyone is interested.. Using the stock Y8 maps with my Vitara Y8 setup the car felt REALLY muddy. It wanted to go, but it just couldn't. It was even creeping to 11psi by redline now which it never did before. I recalled my last tune I used B16 ignitions maps. I used the B16 maps with the Y8 idle section and the car came alive. Amazing what a little timing will do. Its also no longer creeping to 11psi now, its only creeping to 7psi, more like it was before. Anyways, I see the conclusion is the retarded timing seems to help the car \"build\" boost... am I correct this is how the anti lag feature works? Another observation which might be more of a bug is that in the settings the program will not keep memory of the serial port I select. I set it to 6, but I must re set it everytime I open the program and go to connect again. No biggy, just thtought I would mention it.

Orthello

Post by Orthello »

Hybrid96EK wrote:.... I see the conclusion is the retarded timing seems to help the car "build" boost... am I correct this is how the anti lag feature works?
Combustion isn't completed while the exhaust ports open. This is what happens with to much retard. Combustion continues in the exhaust and thus in the turbo itself. This makes the turbo spool up more then you want to and also generating a lot more heat. Anti lag indeed does something simular.