timing syng issues

Support forum for eCtune software.

Moderator: Gaskleppie

racepak
http://phpbb3styles.net

timing syng issues

Post by racepak »

helo everyone I tryied today to sync my ignition advance. i set up my snap on timing light and got the distributer into the original OEM mark. i cranked up the engine using setup: base timing: 16 timing lock: 16.5 in my timing light the number got to be around 26-28 degrees. i turned to distributer to get the maximum retard, the timing light indicated that it is now at 21-22 degrees. i set the timing lock to be at about 8 degrees and now it has show about 16-17 degrees. it seems like i am missing something, it's looks like i need to write 8 degrees when i want 16 and it's just funny. any ideas? setup is a d16z6 oem td42 dizzy 75.50 vitaras eagle rods 59300 cam aem cam gear set to 0 thanks

Bugermass
<font color=gray>Site Admin</font><br><font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by Bugermass »

your timing belt is probably off a tooth or so.
Chris Delgado Tun'd Performance Houston Texas 713-962-8262

racepak

Post by racepak »

Bugermass wrote:your timing belt is probably off a tooth or so.
Well. its not,

racepak

Post by racepak »

racepak wrote:
Well. its not,
please help. calvin said i should make my dizzy holes bigger..... :S and i dont wanna do it.

JaredKaragen

Post by JaredKaragen »

my initial thoughts as well. either that or your dist is for another head... or you have a different cam gear installed than you should. do all 3 bolt holes line up for the dizzy?
95 Sol Si : D16z6 : TD04H-13C 74 Civic 1200 : 100% Stock

Bugermass
<font color=gray>Site Admin</font><br><font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by Bugermass »

has to be the wrong dizzy, gear, the belt or the keyway for the crank pulley is missing and the pulley is off. Those are the only possible causes for the timing to be that far off.
Chris Delgado Tun'd Performance Houston Texas 713-962-8262

sj-performance

Post by sj-performance »

Do you have the timing light on number 1 cyl????

Hybrid96EK

Post by Hybrid96EK »

You sure the cam gear is for a Z6 and not a Y8?

HiProfile

Post by HiProfile »

If you're maxed out the physical adjustments and still 8* advanced, and 101% POSSITIVE that all the parts are correct - it has to be the timing belt that's somehow off a tooth. There's no other way you can accidentally throw it off by that amount, unless your distributor shaft happens to be bent in 2 specific places, both in exact & opposite amounts. As mentioned above, a Y7/Y8 gear on any other D-series will throw off timing, but usually by 4*. Did you (*or previous owners*) deck the head and the block by some crazy amount?

Bindegal
<font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by Bindegal »

Also check mechanical TDC against the TDC mark on the pulley. I have seen some weirdness from aftermarket pulleys in my time :) /Allan
Regards, eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

racepak

Post by racepak »

hi guys.... to answer your question.... dizzy is matched to the head (td42 on a d16z6), all the bolts are aligned. the block is milled just a tad (cant remember how much) i think its the cam gear too, if the y8 cam is advanced 4.25deg over the z6 ineed to retard the cam 4.25 degrees. that means it will be retarded 8.5 over the 22-24 degrees i see now. that means ill see 14-16 degs at the cranck, right ??? thats pretty much what i under stand from this thread: \"y8 cam w/ z6 sprocket: advance 4.5 degs. If z6 cam with y8 sprocket: retard 4.5 degrees\" http://www.d-series.org/forums/showthread.php?t=41363 thanks

racepak

Post by racepak »

well. i retarded the cam gear 4.25deg and the ignition lined up. :)