Newbie question of the day???????????

Support forum for eCtune software.

Moderator: Gaskleppie

thething96
http://phpbb3styles.net

Post by thething96 »

Hi everyone, I've gotten great response from a couple of topics I had, let's give this one a shot. What is the REAL difference between low and high cam. All I know is vtec is used for high cam, but I'm blank on all the details. What is the best way to tune on both settings. Anyone care to enlighten me please??

b20beast

Post by b20beast »

low cam is engaged from idle - Vtec High cam is the VTEC map.

poodlemuffer

Post by poodlemuffer »

the difference is the cam profile .high cam having higher lift and longer duration , watch this video explains it really well http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcT_ZyY3 ... re=related but on ectune you have a low and a high cam map, both can have different fuel and ignition values. you can select at what rpm it switches. the way i tune is i set the vtec engagement at 7000rpm then tune the low cam till 6000rpm. then set vtec to swap at 3500rpm then tune the high cam. after that do a power run with vtec low and vtec high and look at the torque curve, roughly where the lines cross each other is generally where you would set the vtec swap over. some cars can be different and like a low vtec crossover others ive seen have a bit of a dip in torque unless the vtecs high . hope that helps.

thething96

Post by thething96 »

That really helps, but how do you set what rpm you want high cam to kick in? It's also a little tricky for newcomers like me for the fact that low cam has a wide rpm range, just like high cam. On the vtec engagement note, the better flowing exhaust, the lower vtec should be set. My type r has bolt ons only, except for a warm air intake, stock exhaust. Bone stock, vtec would start making power after 5700rpm. Ever since the electric cutout was installed, I noticed that vtec starts pulling hard after 5000. Mhhhhhhh.......

MantisX

Post by MantisX »

Not to thread highjack, but what should be done if you car is non vtec? The same settings for both high and low? Zeroed out high map? MantisX

poodlemuffer

Post by poodlemuffer »

thething - i usually use a dyno so i choose what rpm to crossover by looking at the datalogs and can see where the torque falls off and where torque picks up on the high cam, if your doing it on the street i normally leave it where it is stock.

Gaskleppie
<font color=gray>Site Admin</font><br><font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by Gaskleppie »

this must be the newbie question of the year....... :shock:
Regards, eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: The Netherlands

thething96

Post by thething96 »

Even Nostradamus couldn't predict this question..........

thething96

Post by thething96 »

No, but seriosly, I knew the difference between low and high cam, just thought there would be more to it. Every time there is a topic, even something as simple as an injector, there's some much info that people share in the forum. Just thought this would be the same case.