tps problem? sensor bad?

Support forum for eCtune software.

Moderator: Gaskleppie

h224thgensedan
http://phpbb3styles.net

tps problem? sensor bad?

Post by h224thgensedan »

Just got the car running the other day and got my eCtune registered today. The setup is a h2b in a ef sedan converted to obd1. The motor rain in stock fashion just fine before I tore it down to do some internal work. So today I go out and get ready to start getting it to idle right. The first time that the motor started, it idled at 3k steady for around 10 seconds and was real rich (11.5) area. I only let it run for at most 10 seconds (this was before I had my program registered. So I got my emulator and datalogging setup (thanks for the pdf calvin), and the first thing that I notice is my tps says 100%. This is with throttle closed. So I depin my outer two pins and switch them. Look back at the computer in the car and its at .49v. I start the car and it dies instantly with no cel. I checked all grounds again and they are good (tight and clean). The car will not rev and pops out the intake. I switched the outer wires back and the car is smooth just very high idle but there is no popping and it does rev( as far as the sensor will allow it). Sound like a faulty tps?
H2B Ef Sedan

calvin
<font color=gray>Site Admin</font><br><font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by calvin »

honda has 2 tps sensor for obd1. DX dual point injection sensor. 4.5v closed and 0.47 open. normally sensor 0.47 closed and 4.5 open. I think you have the first type on your car. Put one from a gsr/civic and you should be good.
Regards, eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Caribbean & Suriname aim:calvinPGMFI skype:ectune We remote connect to your laptop if you have problems. Best support in the world.

h224thgensedan

Post by h224thgensedan »

Thanks I'll try that out today. The sensor that is on my car now is a f22 tps. Could I just adjust my tps calibration?
H2B Ef Sedan

thething96

Post by thething96 »

Did you replace the throttle body for an aftermarket one?

h224thgensedan

Post by h224thgensedan »

Yes it is an aftermarket throttle body
H2B Ef Sedan

thething96

Post by thething96 »

It wouldn't happen to be a Power Enterprise or generic throttle body, would it?

h224thgensedan

Post by h224thgensedan »

No its not. I just tried the original tps from the h22 and it is the same way. 100% and then go to wot and it is .49v. I compared the throttle body to a factory honda piece and they both open the same direction (counter clockwise) and the space for the tps sensor is in the same spot as well.
H2B Ef Sedan

thething96

Post by thething96 »

Double check the inside of the throttle body. I had the same issue. Rebuild the engine, bought an aftermarket throttle body, and ended up having an extra \"breather\" hole for idling. I would check to see if it has an extra hole(thats the best way I can describe it). That could be your problem.

h224thgensedan

Post by h224thgensedan »

There is only one hole on the inside of the throttle body. Are you thinking the motor might be choking at idle?
H2B Ef Sedan

thething96

Post by thething96 »

No, but when I did my build, my car would also idle at 3k. Just thought you might have the same issue. Is the car smoking a lot?

h224thgensedan

Post by h224thgensedan »

No its not smoking. I have killed my battery messing with it so its sitting on a charger right now. This tps is got my stumped. The only time that I get a proper readout is when I change the tps wiring back to dpfi form and thats when the car acts up but I get a proper voltage reading. When its the way it should be, I get a 100% at idle along with a 3k idle and a 11.5afr.
H2B Ef Sedan

CRX2

Post by CRX2 »

calvin wrote:honda has 2 tps sensor for obd1. DX dual point injection sensor. 4.5v closed and 0.47 open. normally sensor 0.47 closed and 4.5 open. I think you have the first type on your car. Put one from a gsr/civic and you should be good.
Or just switch the ground and 5V power wires. Works fine.

h224thgensedan

Post by h224thgensedan »

CRX2 - When I switch them I get the right voltage reading but the car will not idle. It starts then dies right away but I do get the right voltage reading. When they are the way they are supposed to be the car runs but idles way high and says that im 100% throttle. I have tried 3 other working known tps sensors and im getting the same issue. I am going to try and rewire it from the ecu today and see if that solves anything.
H2B Ef Sedan

h224thgensedan

Post by h224thgensedan »

Checked everything with a multimeter earlier and got 4.8v power to ground on plug then 4.8v on power to engine ground. Then between yel/wht and red/blk, I had 3.5v. These are all with koeo.
H2B Ef Sedan

boostindaily

Post by boostindaily »

h224thgensedan wrote:No its not. I just tried the original tps from the h22 and it is the same way. 100% and then go to wot and it is .49v. I compared the throttle body to a factory honda piece and they both open the same direction (counter clockwise) and the space for the tps sensor is in the same spot as well.
check and make sure you didn't swap up the map and tps plug .