Car sometimes hard to start/ low idle initially

Support forum for eCtune software.

Moderator: Gaskleppie

MantisX
http://phpbb3styles.net

Car sometimes hard to start/ low idle initially

Post by MantisX »

Hi, so i've played with crank, post fuel etc and I can never get my car to start on point. Sometimes ill hop in it and have to turn the key over 2-3 times before it starts. Then once its started, the idle is really low for a while. Then it idles as normal after a while. Sometimes I can hop in it and it fires almost immediately. Any ideas whats happening here? Im not on my tuning laptop atm, but ill try to upload my current .cal. Any ideas? Thanks MantisX

calvin
<font color=gray>Site Admin</font><br><font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by calvin »

setup specs? logs? cal?
Regards, eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Caribbean & Suriname aim:calvinPGMFI skype:ectune We remote connect to your laptop if you have problems. Best support in the world.

MantisX

Post by MantisX »

Sorry about that. Heres my CAL. Ill try to get a log of the startup but my wideband doesnt read immediately on startup. Thanks MantisX
Attachments
Teggy2ndstartmorecolumns.cal
(8.19 KiB) Downloaded 177 times

calvin
<font color=gray>Site Admin</font><br><font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by calvin »

let it warm up first with key on
Regards, eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Caribbean & Suriname aim:calvinPGMFI skype:ectune We remote connect to your laptop if you have problems. Best support in the world.

Bindegal
<font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by Bindegal »

Just FYI, I recently had a problem just like this. It turned out to be the injectors leaking when the engine was shut off. /Allan
Regards, eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

dbsharp

Post by dbsharp »

I have a similar problem with my car. I only get an occasional hard start, and usually after it happens the car runs really lean at idle (18:1+). my car also just runs really lean at idle occasionally. Ive had the problem for a while now, and I have tested a decent amount of the wiring on the car, replaced injectors, put a fuel pressure gage on the car, replaced ecu, and have had this happen on crome and ectune. the car usually idles at 14-14.5 afr at idle. I data logged the hard start once, but was not recording unfortunately. I am going to spend time on it later this summer to try to solve it, by whatever means necessary. I will solve the issue and I will let you know what my problem was. maybe it will help you.

elevation

Post by elevation »

Bindegal wrote:Just FYI, I recently had a problem just like this. It turned out to be the injectors leaking when the engine was shut off. /Allan
I've seen this too and on stock hondas with stock ecu.
regards eCtune authorized tuner eCtune team Colorado Springs, CO- USA elevationauto.com

boostfeddb8

Post by boostfeddb8 »

I am having the same problems. Everytime I start my car it will idle low like say 600-750 then idle slowly goes back up to past 1200-1300 rpm and goes back to normal when warm. I have a Blox throttle body without the fast idle valve. Dont know if thats my problem. I know other cars when started goes high rpm and slowly goes back down when warm.

Bugermass

Post by Bugermass »

try reducing your cranking fuel trim. I usually end up cutting it by about 1/4th to 1/2 .. rom 64 fixes this but its not ready yet.. what happens is it kinda floods the motor on startup and it takes a second to clear out.
Chris Delgado Tun'd Performance Houston Texas 713-962-8262

danz

Post by danz »

what heat range spark plug? been replaced recently? i was having the same issue. messed with crank and post start trims for weeks!! lol replaced the plugs and it starts like a top now. :o

MantisX

Post by MantisX »

Im running NGKs heatrange 7.

danz

Post by danz »

MantisX wrote:Im running NGKs heatrange 7.
i put some BKR7E's in after running my R5671A-8's for about 3000km I am only making around 250-275whp right now anyways... heh Try a new set and see what happens

boostfeddb8

Post by boostfeddb8 »

i wonder if i can adjust the the throttle plate open a little more to try to fix the problem.

wb123

Post by wb123 »

I am having the exact same issue. Just some background on mine. When my car was N/A, I was having some bogging issues to the point where my car would die out.. At first we couldn't figure out why it was doing this...so anyways, we adjusted the idle control screw.. If this adjustment was over compensated to \"band-aid\" a faulty distributor.., could this be possibly causing me hard starts??? How could I test to see if my injectors are leaking or not? they are brand new RC 550cc hi impedance, so I highly doubt this is the cause...

Bindegal
<font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by Bindegal »

Depending on how much has been done in your map, it could be a simple matter. Remember to adjust the cranking multiplier and other settings to accomodate the injectors higher flow. This is more a \"what feels right and crisp\" kind of thing and not so much \"dial in to AFR xx\". I usually also tune battery compensation manually, as no two cars are the same. If the injectors are new I don´t think they would be leaking, the bad ones I had were old old OEM injectors. I see more and more often the signs of cars getting older, resulting in more mechanical little things causing problems which the ECU is initially blamed for. Like old distributors, sticking IACVs and stuff like that. Less time spent tuning, more time fixing mechanical things. /Allan
Regards, eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Copenhagen, Denmark