switching from crome to eCtune question

Support forum for eCtune software.

Moderator: Gaskleppie

pandorasbox
http://phpbb3styles.net

Post by pandorasbox »

Alright this program has some really awesome features! Definitely an improvement over Crome! Alrighty so now my question is what do you guys think of the Demon vs the Ostrich? I currently have an Ostrich 2.0 but no datalog abilities. The ECU is chipped and has the datalog port (if I remember correctly). Would I seriously benefit over the Ostrich to run the Demon? I like the idea of being able to use multiple laptops to tune but its not really the selling factor. Would it make datalogging easier or better? Would it make emulation better? Again sorry for the newb questions but it would be great to get some opinions rather than reading product info solely.

jpjackson

Post by jpjackson »

the demon is a all in one unit, dataloging and emulation, and i think the demon is faster, im not sure though because i dont have one, i am running the ostrich and the extreme hulog(which is what you need to datalog with the ostrich) if i had the $$$$ i would have the demon. 1: it fits inside the ecu/ 2: it does both/ and 3: only one usb cable to have hanging out. so it depends on how much you are willing to spend, which i dont think there is that much differance in $$$$.
Universal Technical Institute Hot rod University graduate ASE Master Certified Automotive Tech Honda and Acura factory certified 9 years and counting in the automotive field

DSMR

Post by DSMR »

I have used several AEM gauges and not had a problem yet. They are not my favorite but they have been consistent with me so far. As far as getting the serial to work with AEM, I have not checked to see if it works. I will though. I have never had that much of an offset issue with the AEM. My offset's have been somewhat minimal. Right now I am using PLX and I really like it. I have been running my M300 for over a year now with no big issues. What I like about the PLX is that it reads very fast (High latency).

pandorasbox

Post by pandorasbox »

I would love to get a PLX but I don't think I could spare the extra $80 at this point. Really sucks. My tuner loves the AEM UEGO, I guess my big thing is I need reliability just like anyone of us. On one website I hear people preaching the UEGO and on the next I hear the LC-1. Haha, I'm torn. Now that I've familiarized myself with the software, my heart is set, eCtune will bring new life to my built motor. I'm gonna skip on the Demon for now, that may come next winter though. Once you purchase the Ostrich version can it be changed to the Demon version? Thanks guys!

jpjackson

Post by jpjackson »

as far as i know you just email calvin to get a new licence for the demon. as far as the wide band selection goes, check out that link i posted for the wide band shoot out, i test all wide bands on the market at the same time, on the same engine, in the same location, it is what sold me on the innovate motorsports lc-1, check it out but in the end its your call, i heard somewhere that the tech edge uses the new lsu 4.9 o2 sensor which is the most accurate, but once again i have had no problems out of my innovate lc-1
Universal Technical Institute Hot rod University graduate ASE Master Certified Automotive Tech Honda and Acura factory certified 9 years and counting in the automotive field

pandorasbox

Post by pandorasbox »

Alrighty, thanks JP. I'll have to read that article. For some reason I totally spaced out you posted it. I'll give it a read right now.

DSMR

Post by DSMR »

jpjackson wrote:as far as i know you just email calvin to get a new licence for the demon. as far as the wide band selection goes, check out that link i posted for the wide band shoot out, i test all wide bands on the market at the same time, on the same engine, in the same location, it is what sold me on the innovate motorsports lc-1, check it out but in the end its your call, i heard somewhere that the tech edge uses the new lsu 4.9 o2 sensor which is the most accurate, but once again i have had no problems out of my innovate lc-1
I have read that article too and I am not sure it is all in good faith. I think that they guy who did the test had some ties to Innovate or something. I would be very much in favor for an independent test of all these wideband's. I am not a skeptic by any means, but everything is driven by money. The products that buy advertisement space always seem to get the thumbs up in the same magazine. Hell, even our government is ran by whoever has the most money and not who can do the job the best (generalization).

pandorasbox

Post by pandorasbox »

I was really suprised at how poorly PLX did, granted they said in the article that PLX reported that it was a wiring error that caused it to read all over the damn place. It was a pretty cool test but it would have been nice to see a little more information regarding the tests and some pics of the actual results to prove their claims. Lol, I'm still torn on the WB. Has anyone attempted to use the serial on the AEM UEGO yet? That would be the selling point for me.

jpjackson

Post by jpjackson »

aem does not come with a serial plug, you would have to wire it up to a db9 serial connector, but there is no software to configure it. innovate has software to configure latency/speed, operation, analog outputs times 2. ect. ect. ect. oh ya, and you can free air calibrate the sensor, so if you think it is reading wrong, remove it from the bung and expose it to air and calibrate it, put it back in and you are good to go. i am not a rep for innovate, but i had a aem unit for 3 years, and ever since i have had ectune it has caused me nothing but problems, the entire time i was tuning with the aem unit i was running way rich, better than lean but still. now that i got my innovate lc-1 my car runs great.
Attachments
inno.JPG
inno.JPG (45.51 KiB) Viewed 5461 times
inno 2.JPG
inno 2.JPG (40.45 KiB) Viewed 5461 times
inno 3.JPG
inno 3.JPG (25.62 KiB) Viewed 5461 times

jpjackson

Post by jpjackson »

Inbox :: Message From: calvin To: jpjackson Posted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:41 pm Subject: Re: which wide band do you recomend with your software??? I recommend LM-2 or LC-1 LM2 has native USB LC1 you will need serial to USB converter. _________________ Regards, eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Caribbean & Suriname aim:calvinPGMFI skype:ectune We remote connect to your laptop if you have problems. Best support in the world. this is a quote by Calvin himself, when i found my aem to be shitted out i pm ed him asking which wide band he recommended with his software, and this is it. he created it, so i think he knows what works best with his software.

pandorasbox

Post by pandorasbox »

Thanks for all your help JP! I'm sold, I'm gonna try the LC-1.

jpjackson

Post by jpjackson »

you wont be disappointed, now i just got the lc-1, i didn't get a gauge so i am running strictly serial so how ever you want to do it. check out www.xenocron.com those guys are awesome, also depending what kind of lap top you have you might have to get a serial to usb adapter if you dont have a serial port on your puter, but the sell that to that works great.

pandorasbox

Post by pandorasbox »

Another question: Does the ecu need to be grounded? Does it need ground from a certain chassis location? I'm doing a little custom work on my interior. The ecu will be under the airbag cover on the dash for a slick little easy access for tuning.

jpjackson

Post by jpjackson »

whats up dude, sorry it took me a while to get back to ya, been a bit busy with work, no you dont have to ground the case if that is what you are asking, the ecu has grounds in the harness, as long as those are there you should be fine. why are you putting your ecu there instead of the stock location? the usb cables that come with your emulator should be plenty long enough.

DSMR

Post by DSMR »

Yeah your ECU does not need a ground for it to operate. It IS a good idea to ground the case to eliminate some electrostatic issues.