Main Relay Clicks all the time

Support forum for eCtune software.

Moderator: Gaskleppie

92bluepreludesi
http://phpbb3styles.net

Main Relay Clicks all the time

Post by 92bluepreludesi »

Well i've been tuning a lot today but ran into a problem. When i have the ostrich 1 connected or disconnected the main relay clicks then my idle surges and it keeps clicking even though i am doing nothing to the cal. So im pretty much stuck with relay clicking and a surging engine. Oh and my datalogging is all screwy to. It only works when the KOEO but as soon as i turn the car on it stops working. so i basically tune just reading my wideband. heres the cal...
Attachments
h23crowerstage3cams.cal
(8.19 KiB) Downloaded 150 times

JaredKaragen

Post by JaredKaragen »

How old is your ostrich? Any chance of dirty/oxidized contacts? Depending on age the cable could be finnicky, too much movement over time and they can develop intermittant problems. Anytime I had relay issues like that it was the cable.
95 Sol Si : D16z6 : TD04H-13C 74 Civic 1200 : 100% Stock

92bluepreludesi

i think i have had both the hulog and ostrich since 2005. I will try a different cable tomorrow. will report back. thanks

92bluepreludesi

okay well the constant clicking is gone now but only does it when i tune. funny it never did it before i could make changes to the fuel map and it would not click and surge. datalogging is not working at all (not ectunes fault). It only worked for about a week when i got it back in 2005. Like i said before it still connects to the ecu when KOEO but when i start the engine it stops. Im a computer technician and its so frustrating when i cant get this hardware to work. so im guessing its either the cable thats connects to the ecu or the hulog itself.

JaredKaragen

Post by JaredKaragen »

Definately an emi/rfi issue :/. Can't say more than try new cables/more grounds

92bluepreludesi

Okay added about 5 grounds. Alternator to frame, distributor to negative battery, Inatake Manifold to frame, added another transmission ground, and a starter ground. Still did not fix the datalogging but it did smooth the car throughout the rpm range. Question the coil i have is similar to the msd blaster coil 2. Can i take the ground off of the positive connection on the coil and put it on the frame? When i got the coil it said to put both the positive and negative on the positive end and the tach on the negative. Oh and the relay clicks after i connect the hulog now. Do i have to reset the ecu after i connect and disconnect to keep it from clicking? oh i also have nology cool wires could those create a high emi?

JaredKaragen

Post by JaredKaragen »

92bluepreludesi wrote:Okay added about 5 grounds. Alternator to frame, distributor to negative battery, Inatake Manifold to frame, added another transmission ground, and a starter ground. Still did not fix the datalogging but it did smooth the car throughout the rpm range. Question the coil i have is similar to the msd blaster coil 2. Can i take the ground off of the positive connection on the coil and put it on the frame? When i got the coil it said to put both the positive and negative on the positive end and the tach on the negative. Oh and the relay clicks after i connect the hulog now. Do i have to reset the ecu after i connect and disconnect to keep it from clicking? oh i also have nology cool wires could those create a high emi?
it is known msd products add emi, especially if near the distributor pickups.. I believe this may be the bulk of your problem... Oem works awesome honestly.

David974

Post by David974 »

Have you already changed you ostrich's battery? check your ostrich ribbon carrefully near the eprom plug

92bluepreludesi

Yea thats what i thought. The reason why i was using this coil is because my oem one cracked and started arching. So i guess i will have to invest in a new or reman here soon. I have never changed the batteries in the ostrich suprised they lasted this long. Would em i looking for on the ribbon cable near the eprom?

JaredKaragen

Post by JaredKaragen »

Look at the area where the ribbon cable mates to the ostrich connector and EEPROM connector.. Your looking for excessive bending/stress on the area where the pins on the connector poke throughthe ribbon cable..... Since it is a crimped fit, it is very easy for it to oxidize and create a bad contact over time. 3 times now I have had to cut my cable shorter and re crimp it as to have good connections again.... But for the normal user it is alot easier to just buy a new cable from moates.... They are relatively inexpensive.

92bluepreludesi

okay weird... my step dad won a mini laptop in a golf tournament. Has win xp on there and loaded up ectune just the free one and the datalogging works. Its slow as hell but it works!

92bluepreludesi

nm just worked for about 1 minute than stopped...

David974

Post by David974 »

Do you use autoscan to find your com port? if yes, disable and retry

92bluepreludesi

yea i tried setting them manually and still no go. I will be buying a oem coil soon hopefully that stop the high emi if thats it at all. will report back when i get it and hook it up.