AEM Serial Wideband

Support forum for eCtune software.

Moderator: Gaskleppie

Turbo3GLude
http://phpbb3styles.net

AEM Serial Wideband

Post by Turbo3GLude »

I'm using an AEM UEGO gauge type controller with the serial output wired to a DB9 connector. Hyper Terminal validates the wideband is correctly setup as the manual specifies. However when I enable serial datalogging in EcTune it displays 10.00 afr and does not move when the car is running. Any EcTune wiseman wanna tell me what I'm doing wrong? Also where should I be powering and grounding the wideband? At current state I have it powered off of a spare in my fusebox with a 10amp inline fuse and grounded to the ECU's Main Ground (A18). Another note: Analog outputs are also WAY off from what AEM calls for...I haven't validated with a multimeter yet to see if its the AEM wideband actually outputting too much voltage for the setting (P02) or if its the ecu reading incorrectly.

Turbo3GLude

Post by Turbo3GLude »

Regarding analog output: My ecu is reading way off from what it should per AEM's specification document for voltage output.

DSMR

Post by DSMR »

I tested this and it does work. Not sure why it isn't working for you. I haven't tried the serial in a while though so I am not sure if it is a software update issue or not.

Turbo3GLude

Post by Turbo3GLude »

Could you be more specific as to what was tested? The serial connection works fine in HyperTerminal so I know its not the AEM wideband. Looks to me like an eCtune issue as HyperTerminal is connecting correctly. Also where the hell is the \"disable ELD\" option in eCtune? Could someone be specific and not ambiguous as to its whereabouts? I've gone through every page of the app and can't find it for the life of me...I swapped my wideband over to ELD and voltage is actually very stable as apposed to the d14(o2) pin however I am told I have to \"disable ELD\" for the wideband to work correctly.

JaredKaragen

Post by JaredKaragen »

Parameters is where you find it. Look at the first pane... It's there near the top
95 Sol Si : D16z6 : TD04H-13C 74 Civic 1200 : 100% Stock

Turbo3GLude

Post by Turbo3GLude »

Thank you, funny thing is I never even thought to click that because it appears to be a parent node to the parameters hierarchy. Have you had any luck using AEM serial logging?

thething96

Post by thething96 »

AEM serial logging works great, but I've noticed that the values implemented in eCtune and other tuning programs are a bit off.I think that the specs provided by AEM are off too(possibly). I had a car of mine running an AEM wideband on d14, and using the AEM values table, I was idling around 14.6 on the gauge, and datalogg showed around 12.5, values were also off when at full trotthle. Just play around with your tune, match your gauge numbers to your settings(after you mess around with the values, you'll notice that the table will be under \"custom\") and when done right, it's very reliable and as accurate as you can get..............

Turbo3GLude

Post by Turbo3GLude »

Did you actually get serial logging working or just analog? Analog is the white output 0-5v that gets wired directly into the ecu. For serial logging you have to wire your own db9 connector to plug directly into the laptop from the blue output wire on the AEM UEGO. I have done so and hyper terminal has verified that the data is streaming correctly per AEM specification. However eCtune will not work with it. It just doesn't seem to read it at all even though I can see it opened the COM1 port in my diagnostics on my laptop.

thething96

Post by thething96 »

sorry, I just did analog( wasn't paying attention). But in my defense, analog input works real nice. As soon as you get your fuel values dialed in, the gauge and your datalogging screen will be exact.

Turbo3GLude

Post by Turbo3GLude »

Should I then report AEM Wideband Serial logging as not functioning correctly? HyperTerminal validates connection and stream data is per AEM specification. EcTune does take ownership of the HyperTerminal process however nothing happens while Serial logging with the AEM Wideband in regards to EcTune. Am I missing something? Analog and serial are way different in my opinion and serial is FAR superior in every way so if I could get serial logging working correctly I could really get my car to run perfectly. Using d10, or d12 yield quite of bit of electronic static in my case, thus a very large filter/stack in order to get something close to accurate as a result my A/F table readings are quite difficult to populate while tuning for A/F Targets. Also it is worth noting that the car runs a b20a5 engine and the map must be made from scratch so the lack of consistency for wideband logging becomes compounded without a good base map.

thething96

Post by thething96 »

Analog and serial are way different in my opinion and serial is FAR superior in every way
I'm curious as to why serial is better than analog. When I had my wideband on d14(or d12, whichever is stock o2, I forget), my datalog values and my wideband values(after adjusting values on eCtune under custom fuel settings) were exactly the same......

DSMR

Post by DSMR »

Serial is better because it uses a discrete time input rather than a continuous time input. What this means is that it is less susceptible to noise and voltage offsets. What you see on the gauge is what the program will read.

Turbo3GLude

Post by Turbo3GLude »

^^^ And this is why serial logging needs to work for me. Anyone care to chime in that has serial logging working with the AEM unit as far as how it is done correctly?

TopMountGSR
<font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by TopMountGSR »

Watch tuning with those aem widebands, I see them on customers setups and compare them all the time to my tuning wideband [ngk ntk] and I always see at least a half point variance, I've seen up to 3 points at idle. Its weird, a lot will be way off at idle, but most within a half to full point high load. Think about that for a moment, what a full point variance could do to you engine.. Sorry to change the subject ;)
DKGoodrich EFI Tuning Solutions eCtune Authorized Tuner Frankfort, KY, U.S.A. 859-421-3334 http://www.dkgoodrich.com Image

Gaskleppie
<font color=gray>Site Admin</font><br><font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by Gaskleppie »

AEM widebands can suck bigtime! I have seen the same shit as TopMount
Regards, eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: The Netherlands