Car is really lean on cold start.. searched, played, lost!

Support forum for eCtune software.

Moderator: Gaskleppie

Hybrid96EK
http://phpbb3styles.net

Car is really lean on cold start.. searched, played, lost!

Post by Hybrid96EK »

I am showing an inital AFR reading of about 12.5:1 for a few seconds on cold starts, then its going REAL leak... like 20:1.. The car doesn't seem to run too horribly at these levels, but I would think its going to be happier/safer with a richer AFR I've tried messing with various settings with no luck. What am I missing here? Where should I be looking specifically to solve this issues? Also, I can't, for the life of me, get the 1-2 columns much leaner then 10-11:1. Ive got values in the fuel tables as low as single digits, nothing seems to help. Remove 10%. 20%, whatever... no change is seen on the wideband. Why is this? Are the larger injectors (550cc's) just too hard to control at lower values?

Gaskleppie
<font color=gray>Site Admin</font><br><font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by Gaskleppie »

post .cal and log. I'll see.
Regards, eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: The Netherlands

Hybrid96EK

Post by Hybrid96EK »

Gaskleppie wrote:post .cal and log. I'll see.
Ok. Took this log this morning. Its short but you can see how its at 13.5:1 one minute, then its going to 20+ and the idle is all over the place. Intake temps usually sit approx 10 degrees above ambient air temp if that helps.
Attachments
coldstartexample.elf
(578.97 KiB) Downloaded 154 times
USETHISONE.cal
(8.19 KiB) Downloaded 136 times

Gaskleppie
<font color=gray>Site Admin</font><br><font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by Gaskleppie »

your maps are totally useless! Start over again, drop the post fuel start trim to 0. You need fuel to keep your motor running!
Attachments
Capture.jpg
Capture.jpg (194.63 KiB) Viewed 3457 times

Hybrid96EK

Post by Hybrid96EK »

Worthless? Well it runs excellent at all other points minus cold starts. What specifically would you call worthless? Lines in fuel curve not smooth? Anything else? I'd like to learn so as not to make the same \"mistakes\" twice if u know what I mean. Thanks in advance!

Gaskleppie

Post by Gaskleppie »

The first 3 columns are way too low. Besides that the lines must be smooth. What is your fuel pressure? And you can switch the purge valve off in the software, must give an improvement.

Hybrid96EK

Post by Hybrid96EK »

Gaskleppie wrote:The first 3 columns are way too low. Besides that the lines must be smooth. What is your fuel pressure? And you can switch the purge valve off in the software, must give an improvement.
Well when the car is up to temperature, its idling at approx 11:1 with those values. Thats where I am lost. I can set them down to almost 0 and I see no improvement in the AFR at idle. When I made these maps, I selected RC 550 injectors (Mine are delphis I believe) and then a stock P28 map. I used the overall fuel trim and adjusted it until I got 14.7:1 at idle and then tuned from there. Is this not the correct procedure? The purge valve isn't even plummed into the intake manifold. Its an OBD2 setup so the valve itself right now will do nothing if turned on or off. I will disable it however if your saying it will help. I took the car to the local drag strip last night but the clutch was no capable of holding the power. On 10psi I was doing a blistering 14.6 @ 100mph. I turned the boost down to 6psi and ran 14.6 @ 97 with a 2.7 60 foot. The clutch was slipping in every gear.