Linux

Support forum for eCtune software.

Moderator: Gaskleppie

christian1
http://phpbb3styles.net

Linux

Post by christian1 »

Is anyone using ectune with linux? Im thinking about putting ubuntu on my laptop but only if i can run ectune.

JaredKaragen

Post by JaredKaragen »

i dont think they have .net 3.5 properly emulated in wine yet....
95 Sol Si : D16z6 : TD04H-13C 74 Civic 1200 : 100% Stock

ekrboi

Post by ekrboi »

JaredKaragen wrote:i dont think they have .net 3.5 properly emulated in wine yet....
saw this topic and hoped someone figured out something i didnt.. you are right no .net3.5 and at current pace of mono.... its not going to be anytime soon either =( i hate winblows.. only have it on my netbook for ectune

fr33w0rld

Post by fr33w0rld »

ekrboi, why don't you install ubuntu on your laptop and then run vm ware and install xp inside vm ware? xp would run inside ubuntu and when your need ectune you could load it up in vm ware while in ubuntu...i am going to give this a shot in the next couple weeks when i have time...service pack 1 came out for windows 7 and it's getting slower...

JaredKaragen

Post by JaredKaragen »

Vmware is very processor intensive... It will work, but you again are stuck with the flaws of windows along with a serious performance decrease.
95 Sol Si : D16z6 : TD04H-13C 74 Civic 1200 : 100% Stock

crows

Post by crows »

i don't know about mono supporting .net 3.5 i guess it doesn't, if you guys are going to try to run it in a VM make sure it supports usb fully because last time i tried something similar the usb support from the vm was crap i was using Virtual Box though... he we could post up to tell calvin to compile it for .net 2.0 if it can be as it most likely doesnt use any 3.5 features

fr33w0rld

Post by fr33w0rld »

i looked into vm ware and there is a non open source version of it for ubuntu that has much better usb support, then the open one...the next thing...if calvin isn't using a funky way of accessing the usb it should in theory be just fine...xp in vm ware using an ipod doesn't work very well with apples encrypted non iso standard ways of accessing the unit...i did actually have a chat with a software developer not to long ago.. and asked him the age ole question of linux programing vs the windows side...he said there wasn't really much, if it's not to complex you should be able to check off compile for linux and it might work...but if he couple compile it under a support wine .net frame work i would try running it on ubuntu...but then again i would try any sort of linux thing offered too..

RolexTM

Post by RolexTM »

vmware or virtualbox is not as processor intensive as you might think. you need a decent amount of ram though - especially if you are running some bloated linux distribution like ubuntu(!) best bet would be to install a slim distribution (debian as binary or gentoo for experienced users with cpu power) and get the free virtualbox on it (vmware is bloat too nowadays). you will get away with a single core with around 512 megs of ram minimum - with 256megs assigned to a virtual xp machine running under virtualbox €dit: of course 256 megs for xp is only enough for a virgin system with only ectune on it. please do not install adobe suite ver xyz...lol