Cant Connect to ECU

Support forum for eCtune software.

Moderator: Gaskleppie

extreme-eg
http://phpbb3styles.net

Cant Connect to ECU

Post by extreme-eg »

Hi everyone I am having trouble with my eCtune setup. I have installed all the required licenses etc. Managed to get the Ostrich and software working on Windows 7 and now: eCtune connects to the Ostrich and shows that it is connected (Green)\However when I select \"Connect to ECU\" it tells me it cannot connect to ECU Consequently the car wont run because the ECU isn't seeing a \"map\" on the Emulator Any ideas why it isn't connecting to the ECU (PS : The cars 100% with a Crome chip)
93 Honda Civic - 10.00 @ 153 95 Honda Civic - B20Vtec Turbo Street car

Bindegal
<font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by Bindegal »

Did you do a full upload to the Ostrich from eCtune? Does the ECU light flash differently from your old Crome? The thing is, until an eCtune ROM is in the ECU, you can´t connect to it. /Allan
Regards, eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

JaredKaragen

Post by JaredKaragen »

Bindegal wrote:Did you do a full upload to the Ostrich from eCtune? Does the ECU light flash differently from your old Crome? The thing is, until an eCtune ROM is in the ECU, you can´t connect to it. /Allan
ill try to simplify a little. in ectune's emulator info pane; is your ostrich vendor set to ectune? or can you not get to this step? if you cant get to this step the problem is most likely driver or a setting in the "settings" pane that is a problem. make sure you know the physical com port the emulator shows up as. use that manually selected com port in ectune to connect... dont use auto connect (too many issues to add to the mix). report back...
95 Sol Si : D16z6 : TD04H-13C 74 Civic 1200 : 100% Stock

extreme-eg

Post by extreme-eg »

JaredKaragen wrote:
Bindegal wrote:Did you do a full upload to the Ostrich from eCtune? Does the ECU light flash differently from your old Crome? The thing is, until an eCtune ROM is in the ECU, you can´t connect to it. /Allan
ill try to simplify a little. in ectune's emulator info pane; is your ostrich vendor set to ectune? or can you not get to this step? if you cant get to this step the problem is most likely driver or a setting in the "settings" pane that is a problem. make sure you know the physical com port the emulator shows up as. use that manually selected com port in ectune to connect... dont use auto connect (too many issues to add to the mix). report back...
Hi guys I've tried the above I can access Emulator info and it does show eCtune as the vendor and displays Serial number. It also shows the correct COM port (verified in device manager) I also checked the datalog settings under Settings and it is correct for Ostrich application. I am Still unable to connect to the ECU !! And I seriosly need to get this working now !! What are the dip switches on the Ostrich 2.0 for - and what should they be set to ?? I'm running out of ideas and becoming very frustrated with this now Thanx for the help

Bindegal

Post by Bindegal »

1) Have you actually uploaded a full ROM to the ECU? 2) Verify MIL (enginge check light). As you turn on the ignition, it should light up for ~2 seconds then flash briefly 1 times or more depending on your version. 3) Is J12 cut? I have a hunch that the eCtune ROM isn´t actually running in your ECU, hence no datalogging. If it´s in limp-home-mode: no datalogging. I have never ever messed with the Ostrich switches... Another way to verify there´s an eCtune ROM running: At key-on, ignition-off press accelerator. It should start flashing check codes, if any. /Allan

JaredKaragen

Post by JaredKaragen »

Also confirm j1, I've seen this overlooked before.

extreme-eg

Post by extreme-eg »

I'm going to explain the process I followed from the start 1) Received eCtune 2) Loaded software on Windows 7 machine 3) Managed to get the errors solved 4) Got the Ostrich to connect after a battle with the drivers 5) Received and copied 1st license 6) Received and copied 2nd license 7) Connect Ostrich and it shows Connected in Green 8) Used TopmountGSR's cal file and clicked \"Put Base and Rom\" 9) Selected Upload Calibration When I select Connect to ECU button (the blue plug) is says cannot connect to ECU I've also selected Verify Rom and it does Strange thing is the fuel pump still primes with the eCtune Ostrich connected - but there is no firing of the engine (starter just turns) It is a Xenocron chipped ecu - so I assume the J12 jumper is cut - but I will have to check to eliminate that as a possible cause. In Emulator info everything looks correct and Datalogging has been set to ICR 3 or something like that. Does eCtune use the ostrich for data flow back to ecu as well ?? Not like Crome with Hulog (I have one of these as well) ??? I will have to check the MIL light

Bindegal

Post by Bindegal »

Just as usual, you need to connect your hulog or other datalogger to the ECU when using an Ostrich. There really is no magic way for the logger to connect using a ROM emulator only. If you want one device whicch logs AND emulates, there´s the Moates Demon which connects to both the ROM socket and the datalogging connector. And as usual J12 needs to be cut. /Allan

extreme-eg

Post by extreme-eg »

Bindegal wrote:Just as usual, you need to connect your hulog or other datalogger to the ECU when using an Ostrich. There really is no magic way for the logger to connect using a ROM emulator only. If you want one device whicch logs AND emulates, there´s the Moates Demon which connects to both the ROM socket and the datalogging connector. And as usual J12 needs to be cut. /Allan
Thanx Allan- understood I am going to check the J12 jumper as my next step

extreme-eg

Post by extreme-eg »

Ok I've made some progress - although not 100% sorted yet 1) Jumper J12 is removed 2) Changed dip switches on Ostrich both to 28 and 28 3) Created a base rom and then Put Base rom and Calibration >> Car started :) , so it is now seeing and reading off the Emulator Problems still : 1) Fuel pump prime function has gone away - runs the pump continuously on both prime and always on settings 2) CANNOT get Hulog to connect - so cannot see any Data Hulog does not show up on the Device Manager in Com ports - only COM4 which is the Ostrich Any ideas on getting Hulog to connect ?? Does it require software ?? My understanding is the drivers that make Ostrich work are the same for Hulog and other Moates products...??

Bindegal

Post by Bindegal »

I always use the latest FTDI drivers off ftdichip.com . If you don´t have a COM port... no logging. Bad HULOG? It should at least show up as a device and ask for a driver. However it troubles me that the fuel pump is always-on etc... I hever touched jumpers on my Ostrich2. /Allan

JaredKaragen

Post by JaredKaragen »

Fuel pump problem is new to me... Might be something going on... The hulog, suspect your cable (USB) and make sure it's jumped inside for Honda, but it's a USB error, either the cable, port or hulog itself. Red wire goes to pin1 on the ecu. Good your getting it sorted!

extreme-eg

Post by extreme-eg »

JaredKaragen wrote:Fuel pump problem is new to me... Might be something going on... The hulog, suspect your cable (USB) and make sure it's jumped inside for Honda, but it's a USB error, either the cable, port or hulog itself. Red wire goes to pin1 on the ecu. Good your getting it sorted!
As soon as the Emulator started working the fuel pump ran continiously - selecting always off in settings turns it off, but always on and prime run it continoiusly. The cable isnt the problem, i've swapped between the Ostrich cable and Hulog cable and still no result. So red wire goes to the most left side of the 3 pin ?? The Hulog did work with the previous owner, but maybe something happened to it in the interim.

extreme-eg

Post by extreme-eg »

Turns out my laptop was reading the Hulog as a Bluetooth radio (which it doesnt have drivers for) and thus not reading the Hulog properly I uninstalled the device and deleted its drivers, plugged in the Hulog and it installed the correct drivers. Opened up eCtune, connected Ostrich, setup correct com port for Hulog, pressed Connect and it WORKED My connection issues are resolved now Only concern I have is the Fuel pump doesnt prime - but runs continuously(the off function works though)

Bindegal

Post by Bindegal »

Good you good the logging sorted out. The only reason I can see for the fuel pump to run constantly (when the Off-setting works) is if the ECU somehow thinks the car is cranking. Cranking is detected by the distributor sensors but also there´s a STS Starter Signal input that can be disabled... /Allan