BUG: DEMON version

Support forum for eCtune software.

Moderator: Gaskleppie

JaredKaragen
http://phpbb3styles.net

BUG: DEMON version

Post by JaredKaragen »

I just went through a nightmare the other day. Needless to say, it took over an hour to figure out WTF was going on. Note: auto-scan/connect disabled load previous ROM enabled realtime update enabled Steps to reproduce: Plug in demon. Load eCtune. Emulator->Connect. change anything in the calibration and you get an error: \"Error setting Demon Vendor to true\" Temporary Solution: Plug in demon load ectune emulator->connect emulator->put base rom and calibration tune the car. The demon was already licensed and set up; no reason for this error. What is the purpose of this retarded step? Reminds me of how to save a GOLD rom. *sigh. I wouldn't have had to figure all this out over the course of an hour if the software didn't keep disconnecting while trying to make large whole table adjustments while datalogging connected. COM port errors, software lockups (JIT errors), etc. System info: Dell Latitude D620 2.0 Core2Duo 2Gb DDR2 60Gb SSD Windows7 Ultimate with all UAC and software controls disabled and bypassed as to rule them out of the problem, as well as all software(s) ran as administrator. All updates installed and patched. This isn't an OS error. I know the difference. And; Why cant I post in the bugs forum anymore? I seem to have reported a multitude of interface related bugs in the past and now I can't? I will have a HUGE list of bugs to be fixed. But don't want to write them out unless I know they will be fixed. I wasted hours figuring out what was causing them so I could tune a customers car; I don't want to waste anymore time if it wont be taken care of. Thank you. Sorry if I am ranting, but the last 20 times I have emailed calvin I got ZERO replies. Everyone else had to bug and bug him over and over for me to get my regularly scheduled yearly license... which is about to happen again, and I am switching systems as I have this new rock-solid unit I have been working off of now.
95 Sol Si : D16z6 : TD04H-13C 74 Civic 1200 : 100% Stock

David974

Post by David974 »

got the same problem here i finally ended using my ecu and ostrich to tune the car after tuning, i just put the cal in the demon customer also the problem you have while datalogging , i had them too I found that electrical noise are the primary cause of this I don't think Calvin will help us here, he lost his interest in ectune , ostrich license renewal is scary,it seems like everytime you ask for help, he got pissed of I don't recommand ectune to my custommers now , no more new feature, no help, what a shame!! the GUI is very good regards

JaredKaragen

Post by JaredKaragen »

I still recommend it; I just inform the customer that software delays could make the tuning process take a little longer. I know my crashed are software based. I got the same ones at different times with different OS's on the same or different machines. This was the first time I didn't want to have to get out my old slow laptop to tune a customers car on my gear so I could upload to their ostrich after the tune was done. So I dealt with the disconnects and worked around it. I will comment that my old laptop added EMI like mad. I used to get crazy disconnecting issues with my Innovative data stream. Having to always reboot the software or machine, unplugging and plugging the USB's back in... It didn't happen once this time. I am waiting to get myself a Demon; get an eCtune license for it, and start logging interface bugs. Given the fact that I have a Engine sim; and my LM1, along with a handy testing device: I hooked a 110V AC motor on a variac geared to a civic alternator. Rigged the field wire, and a dummy light. The alternator is hooked to my RV's battery bank. This way I can hook everything up and simulate the charging system ripple while running my datalogger and testing equipment. I believe this little toy will greatly help me diagnose these issues without having to do it driving my own car. I have wanted to see this software succeed from day one when I joined in on beta. I paid extra (more than 33% more) to be in beta. The interface is awesome. The features were looked into in great detail and developed with care. Worth every penny. Total speculation here, I am just writing my thoughts: I really now believe that Calvin lost interest in developing his software when the userbase dictated his terms. This being when the masses demanded a timebomb be removed. This really hurt his software protection scheme IMHO. The way I see it; before; if someone ends up hacking his software, it would bomb out in not much time and become worthless to try and do so often. I think it was an excellent deterrent. This is specifically towards the Ostrich version. Since the ostrich could have its unique identifier erased and re written, vs the Demon that has a static serial. (which is way less secure IMHO). I just hope the software doesn't die, keeps getting updated with needed fixes, promised features, and when important software/ROM issues come up, that all associated parties are at least TOLD ABOUT IT; so we can beware and take it into account when tuning our vehicles. People who know the inside story will understand the above sentence to the T. Don't ask me to explain it please. Not my place to say, but I must voice MY opinion there.

JaredKaragen

Post by JaredKaragen »

keeping it fresh. so bump. this little pesk causes numerous other issues, and is the root of those issues so i dont need to report the associated ones unless they dont go away.