Windows 10 and 8.1 Compatibility

Support forum for eCtune software.

Moderator: Gaskleppie

JaredKaragen
http://phpbb3styles.net

Windows 10 and 8.1 Compatibility

Post by JaredKaragen »

I have tested eCtune with Windows 10 x64 and am happy to report that there are no hidden bugs as of yet. I still haven't done my full software-side evaluation to make sure every facet is working, but as of now; I have been using eCtune on Windows 10 with no issue aside from getting it installed. *************************************************** OSTRICH USERS: BE AWARE!!!!!! Changing your system's OS will change your SystemID and thus break your license, requiring a new license request. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED. Please keep this in mind if you plan to upgrade your tuning machine to Windows 10 or any other OS. *************************************************** DEMON USERS: The software works as it should in Windows 10. SystemID does not play into the use of your licensed Demon, so use as-normal. ::Windows 10 eCtune install notes:: I Highly suggest you perform a CLEAN install: 1) Uninstall eCtune 2) Run the installer as administrator 3) Download eCtune_update_current.zip from the forum and install as per instructions 4) Run an elevated Command Prompt (as administrator), browse to the eCtune installed directory, and run forceupdate as administrator. This should work for you. I need to re-verify these steps, but at least you get a concept of what needs to be done.
95 Sol Si : D16z6 : TD04H-13C 74 Civic 1200 : 100% Stock

Gaskleppie
<font color=gray>Site Admin</font><br><font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by Gaskleppie »

Thanks for posting!!!
Regards, eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: The Netherlands

JaredKaragen

Post by JaredKaragen »

OK. Windows 10 has some nasty bugs or my SSD decided to corrupt half it's drive. I really don't suggest the upgrade until Windows 10 is more stable.... I spent the last two days trying to get this SSD and windows 10 installed again so I didn't need to bother with the license change since I'm an ostrich user. Be warned guys! I had a heart attack a few days ago! I am very lucky all the planets aligned and I was able to get it all to work again today.

JaredKaragen

Post by JaredKaragen »

To clarify since I just had to do it again: Download the ectune installer .rar and the update rar or zip. extract ectune installer. open command prompt as administrator browse to extracted installer run seup.exe (it will go through .net install works) it will then contnue and install ectune go back to the elevated command prompt and browse to the ectune install folder. run forceupdate.bat it will update and say success. now unzip/unrar the update you downloaded into the ectune installed directory. go back to to the elevated command prompt and force update again. ectune should now work.

rich777

Post by rich777 »

JaredKaragen, I don't suppose you have any insight to why I'm getting this error (I have attached the image). I'm running Windows 8 and can not seem to get Ectune to force update. I have the latest version uploaded. Thank you
Attachments
ectune error.png
ectune error.png (8.85 KiB) Viewed 192441 times

JaredKaragen

Post by JaredKaragen »

Follow my posted steps here. It requires that specific workflow to get going. Something from win7 and on changed the way permissions work; and ectune is tough to get around this. be sure to do EVERY STEP from an elevated command prompt and it should work fine... but the forceupdate reported success; but only changed files in the AppData/Roaming/in4tec.... folder. I had to install using the installer; forceupdate download/install the update manually (from first thread in this forum) forceupdate again from elevated command prompt... then it worked. Hope it helps!

rich777

Post by rich777 »

Thank you JaredKaragen, I will give it a shot later. :D

rich777

Post by rich777 »

JaredKaragen, I have uploaded ectune successfully to my old laptop but I have now have ran into another problem. I am getting error \"MSGID 004\" when I try to run ectune. I have searched and it seems as though there is an issue with my license and laptop hardware. (http://forum.ectune.com/viewtopic.php?t ... msgid+004h) I am using the same laptop that I have always run ectune on, but, the laptop has been formatted not so long ago and now runs with windows 7 (instead of Vista). Do you have any suggestions? Thank you again for your help, it is much appreciated.
Attachments
SS1.png
SS1.png (24.64 KiB) Viewed 192427 times

JaredKaragen

Post by JaredKaragen »

004H.... ok, I think its still out of date, or license expired/wrong. did you do a Win10 upgrade? if so, did you start the license registration process from the beginning for a new license on the new OS? I think all the errors I was getting for old version were 002h.....

rich777

Post by rich777 »

JaredKaragen wrote:004H.... ok, I think its still out of date, or license expired/wrong. did you do a Win10 upgrade? if so, did you start the license registration process from the beginning for a new license on the new OS? I think all the errors I was getting for old version were 002h.....
No, I have windows 7 on the laptop I am using. When I first installed ectune I had windows vista though, so I'm guessing that's what's now causing the issue. I have tried going through the registration process twice now with no luck. I'm guessing someone needs to link my laptop and license together (on the ectune end). Do you know who could do this? Other than that, the program itself opens and runs fine.

JaredKaragen

Post by JaredKaragen »

That makes sense. when you change OS the license for an ostrich will need to be updated. So you basically do a clean install; update it to the current version.. Then in the \"Help->Registration\" menu fill it out as before. Once that is submitted, you will get an automated email letting you know the submission was successful. After that, PM gaskleppie on this site, and let him know you need your license updated. You will get license.xml in the mail. save it to your desktop first, then manually move it to the ectune folder. ectune should launch and run. Just hook up your ostrich, and in the ostrich/emulator info menu, \"Request license\" and it will re-vendorize your ostrich. Should be good to go from there. eCtune's license is sensitive to system changes (HDD, OS, network cards, etc.), so this is why you would need a new license.

rich777

Post by rich777 »

I'm up and running, thank you for your help, I wouldn't be using ectune again if it wasn't for your great assistance. Gaskleppie, I have tried to reply to your pm but I keep geting an error. Yes, this is a software/hardware error. Thank you for the fresh licence, it is much appreciated.

Adam Hopkins
<font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by Adam Hopkins »

I have a new computer and just installed ectune on my windows 10 think pad yoga. I did a clean install and tried to force update but I get an error saying \"Access to C: program files (x86)\\eCtune\\\\\\eCtune.chm denied\" What am I doing wrong?
Regards, Adam Hopkins eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Murfreesboro, Tn, USA

nce

Post by nce »

It's something about Windows not allowing you to update what I did to get around it was to install ectune on an older pc running vista and did force update then saved those files on a flash drive then just replaced files in ectune folder on new laptop running Windows 10 and it worked I'll try and attach those files later when I can get to my flash drive so others with the same problem can fix it easily

ryan89crx

Post by ryan89crx »

Thanks Jared for the info on getting it up and running. I have a different method that I used to get ectune working on my Win10 laptop. Based on the same steps that Jared used, however easier IMO. Download eCtune via the link in the current version thread. Run this program as admin Open whatever directory that it installed to, usually Program Files (x86) Right click on eCtune folder, click \"Properties\" Under the \"Security\" tab, click \"Edit\" (Change permissions) Click your logon name under the \"Group or Usernames\" menu Next box down \"Permissions for ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES\", click Full Control > Allow Click ok to exit all the settings prompts. Start menu > All apps > eCtune > Force update This should allow the update to proceed. Get new license(if needed), place in eCtune folder, run APP as Admin( I simply open properties and make it run as Admin every time)