questions about autotune

Support forum for eCtune software.

Moderator: Gaskleppie

JaredKaragen
http://phpbb3styles.net

Post by JaredKaragen »

I have tried just selecting the same range of cells (9-11%, etc) and doing it that way, then after the adjustment, smooth the whole map... repatatious, but worked, but I found having a driver with a steady pedal foot and adjusting by hand was best ;)
95 Sol Si : D16z6 : TD04H-13C 74 Civic 1200 : 100% Stock

calvin
<font color=gray>Site Admin</font><br><font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by calvin »

JaredKaragen wrote:I have tried just selecting the same range of cells (9-11%, etc) and doing it that way, then after the adjustment, smooth the whole map... repatatious, but worked, but I found having a driver with a steady pedal foot and adjusting by hand was best ;)
x2
Regards, eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Caribbean & Suriname aim:calvinPGMFI skype:ectune We remote connect to your laptop if you have problems. Best support in the world.

MADMAX

Post by MADMAX »

What I do to tune a map is make all of the values in each column the same. Just start with the highest value for each column and make them all that number. For the most part the car will run very very smooth at this point. Just tune each whole column to get them close and then \"bend\" each column to get the right AFR all around. Generally represents the torque curve if fuel pressure is constant. NOTE* the B&M add-on FPR sucks. The fuel maps always rise and never taper off. Definitely not a 1:1 FPR. A fuel/ignition map should never be jagged. Why the stock ones are like that who knows. Even mostly stock cars I've tuned need smoothing out quite a bit and are usually lean at WOT. Lean enough to make less power.

TopMountGSR
<font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by TopMountGSR »

Good info, Thanks I will def try this. edit: Someone told me once if the fuel tapers off towards the end, or in the very high rpm portion that it could be a sign that you are 'running out of cam' and could benefit from a larger cam. True or not I don't know.
Last edited by TopMountGSR on Tue May 13, 2008 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
DKGoodrich EFI Tuning Solutions eCtune Authorized Tuner Frankfort, KY, U.S.A. 859-421-3334 http://www.dkgoodrich.com Image

zex_cool

Post by zex_cool »

MADMAX wrote:What I do to tune a map is make all of the values in each column the same. Just start with the highest value for each column and make them all that number. For the most part the car will run very very smooth at this point. Just tune each whole column to get them close and then "bend" each column to get the right AFR all around. Generally represents the torque curve if fuel pressure is constant. NOTE* the B&M add-on FPR sucks. The fuel maps always rise and never taper off. Definitely not a 1:1 FPR. A fuel/ignition map should never be jagged. Why the stock ones are like that who knows. Even mostly stock cars I've tuned need smoothing out quite a bit and are usually lean at WOT. Lean enough to make less power.
i have no idea what your saying. could you post a cal or something. :wink:

JaredKaragen

Post by JaredKaragen »

One thing I did, is get WOT in the area, then, select the map from WOT/MAX boost to max vaccum, then click \"Interpolate row values\" and do a little tuning, get some areas to the respective amount; then interpolate row values again between the above and below areas tuned... Maps turn out nice. Check my D15B MAP in the other forum I posted, I will go right now and upload the .BIN I am using right now; and you will see these little ripples, or wakes; results of not doing the injector battery offset tables completely at-first with this tune. Here is a screenshot: Image You can see where I interpolated everything, then moved the rest around to be respective to the tuned portions of it; When I want to further my tune, I try to hit the non-rippled spots; and smooth them out more. Now; Look at the Hi-Cam: Image Obvious what was done. Should help alot ;) Calvin, maybe there is a way to have the program select the groups of cells by a buttonpress? Lets say the same Idea as above, maybe click on the cell with a % value you wish to change; then click a button that will \"select like percentages\" on the map so you can adjust; Example: Click a cell that is -6% fuel, Then click the button and it auto-selects the other cells in the map that require a -6% also. Maybe in the Settings panel have an option where you can choose the range for which it highlights cells (above x millibars and below x millibars) so you obviously ignore and not select erroneous readings near full vaccum, etc. Unless there could be another auto-adjust button with this feature built in... eliminate an extra click ;) One for singular adjustment, one for like adjustment.
Attachments
D15B LowCam
D15B LowCam
ECTune 042.jpg (138.64 KiB) Viewed 5923 times
D15B HiCam
D15B HiCam
ECTune 043.jpg (150.35 KiB) Viewed 5923 times

MADMAX

Post by MADMAX »

zex_cool wrote:i have no idea what your saying. could you post a cal or something. :wink:
Look at the low cam.
Attachments
P72example.cal
Low cam
(8.17 KiB) Downloaded 160 times

crx303

Post by crx303 »

TopMountGSR wrote:say you have cells like: 10% 7% 16% 12% and you highlight them all and click the auto adjust button does it adjust each of them individually or an average adjust? does that make sense? auto tune would be cool for the partial throttle area..
AHA, this is what I was wondering also. Now I understand why my maps were a mess with auto adjust. I assumed each cell is calculated independently.... Why it's not like this?

calvin
<font color=gray>Site Admin</font><br><font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by calvin »

because it will F*** more. You have to select a cell range and after that smooth the map
Regards, eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Caribbean & Suriname aim:calvinPGMFI skype:ectune We remote connect to your laptop if you have problems. Best support in the world.

crx303

Post by crx303 »

Clear, thanks.

greasemonkee

Post by greasemonkee »

Once I got used to this new system, I realized it is a more fail-safe method in a case where you would normally overlook an erroneous reading. Perfect accuracy cannot be achieved by interpolating or smoothing.

OneRM

Post by OneRM »

MADMAX wrote:
zex_cool wrote:i have no idea what your saying. could you post a cal or something. :wink:
Look at the low cam.
wow thats pretty interesting, I'm gonna give it a try tonight and see how it works.

MADMAX

Post by MADMAX »

OneRM wrote:
MADMAX wrote:
Look at the low cam.
wow thats pretty interesting, I'm gonna give it a try tonight and see how it works.
It works like a base fuel table. I would really like to see more of a base fuel table type deal or VE table, whatever you want to call it. The stock code already uses column multipliers. I never understood why all of the ROM editors insisted on multiplying these into the table. That's not how the stock code was intented to work and makes it harder to tune. It is a base fuel table with a 2D scalar table. So that way you could start off with an entire table filled with say "0x80" and then just mess with the scalars until the columns are mostly correct. Then just tweak the base fuel table. Calvin, you listening? This would set eCtune apart from the crowd. This is how a lot of standalones work, well at least the better ones.

JaredKaragen

Post by JaredKaragen »

greasemonkee wrote:Once I got used to this new system, I realized it is a more fail-safe method in a case where you would normally overlook an erroneous reading. Perfect accuracy cannot be achieved by interpolating or smoothing.
Agreed, but you do get a good street tune with that method.

TopMountGSR
<font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by TopMountGSR »

I'm curious when you run such a smooth graph dont your AFRs vary alot and bob up and down [but still in a safe range] as opposed to a notchy non smooth graph that has every cell tuned dead on? I'm just trying to learn here. My graphs are real notchy because I try to tune each cell so precisely to the target afr. Thanks for your help. dk
DKGoodrich EFI Tuning Solutions eCtune Authorized Tuner Frankfort, KY, U.S.A. 859-421-3334 http://www.dkgoodrich.com Image