some more info on DIY

Support forum for eCtune software.

Moderator: Gaskleppie

kesnut
http://phpbb3styles.net

some more info on DIY

Post by kesnut »

* Only allows tuning one 1 car(for more cars, more ostirch pairing contact us) * Unable to open/save binary files can you explain these some more?

nate
<font color=gray>Site Admin</font><br><font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by nate »

Basically the DIY Version with be paired with an Ostrich emulator. This will only allow you to tune one car with it. eCtune uses Calibration files primarily instead of .bin files which you may be used to seeing. Only the Tuner/Dealer version supports opening .bin files...
eCtune Team

mtnickel

Post by mtnickel »

SO we will be required to purchase an ostrich for the DIY version? I'm used to just using my friends Ostrich while dyno/street tuning and then just using a chip...guess this is outa the question. Looks like Ostrich sales will be way up from moates with the release of this software then :) NOt many used ones around. Just hope the licence isn't TOO expensive, as when you factor in the cost of the ostrich, it gets up there.

mtnickel

Post by mtnickel »

Also...the \"What does this mean\" Link does not work (requires log-in) Just wondering what the whole 1 year licence/updates. I'm hoping that just means you only get 1 year of updates, not that the software ceases to work after a year :shock: Mark

nate
<font color=gray>Site Admin</font><br><font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by nate »

Sorry we are working on that section of the website. AFAIK You will not have to re-purchase the software after one year.
eCtune Team

Dmc1

Post by Dmc1 »

Hmmm I own two cars. How will that work? I have no way of just burning a chip. So I would have to leave my ostrich in the car? Sorry if all this has been answered. :o I read some more I guess you guys are just making sure someone doesn't buy a personal version and tune ten cars a month with it that s a good idea really. But If I can't open and save the bin and burn it to a chip I won't buy it so I guess I'll have to buy the tuner version. *L* I kind of have delusions of becoming one anyway. *L* just don't charge $500 bucks!

calvin

Post by calvin »

Dmc1 wrote: I read some more I guess you guys are just making sure someone doesn't buy a personal version and tune ten cars a month with it that s a good idea really.
You are right.. you will need 2 ostrich...
Regards, eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Caribbean & Suriname aim:calvinPGMFI skype:ectune We remote connect to your laptop if you have problems. Best support in the world.

xenocron
<font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by xenocron »

calvin wrote:
Dmc1 wrote: I read some more I guess you guys are just making sure someone doesn't buy a personal version and tune ten cars a month with it that s a good idea really.
You are right.. you will need 2 ostrich...
Or to transfer over your ECU/Ostrich to each car...you cant drive 2 at once anyways :)
Regards, Xenocron Tuning Solutions eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Ringwood, NJ / Hillburn, NY U.S.A. www.xenocron.com DIY ECU Chipping, Fuel Management Parts and more...

nate

Post by nate »

xenocron wrote:Or to transfer over your ECU/Ostrich to each car...you cant drive 2 at once anyways :)
Nope that won't work the Ostrich is paired to the specific eCtune calibration. You will need 2 seperate Ostrich units or the Dealer License...
eCtune Team

Dmc1

Post by Dmc1 »

nate wrote:
xenocron wrote:Or to transfer over your ECU/Ostrich to each car...you cant drive 2 at once anyways :)
Nope that won't work the Ostrich is paired to the specific eCtune calibration. You will need 2 seperate Ostrich units or the Dealer License...
Your making the single user version to restrictive to be worth it. Why pay for something that you can only partially use. What about someone with a track car and DD or someone thats going to run a track tune and a DD tune on the same car. You need to be a little more flexible here. It's a waste of money to have two seperate Ostrich. Although you kind of have to do it this way or you'd have people doing what almost everyone did with crome they bought the personal version are tuning out of a shop. It sucks because if you give someone the ability to burn to a chip their going to tune somebody elses car as well. LOL Maybe you could do something like limit the amount of burns you could do a month or something.

digitalvinyl

Post by digitalvinyl »

Haha well it's a slippery slope. The number of burns per month is not something that I would enjoy as I don't want to be restricted to the number of times I could burn. I guess it's the same as most software. You can't complain to Adobe because you have 5 computers where you'd like to run Photoshop and they only give you a license for one of them. Just because you have the capability to run multiple cars on eCtune doesn't mean you should be able to from one license, you would then fall under the definition of a tuner or pro or whatever it's termed as. I feel okay with the way the DIY is setup, that is if the pricing reflects its limitations; if it's pricetag is high and has such limits, that may be another story ;)

nate

Post by nate »

Dmc1 wrote:Although you kind of have to do it this way or you'd have people doing what almost everyone did with cr*m* they bought the personal version are tuning out of a shop.
This is precisely why it must be done like this.
eCtune Team

Dmc1

Post by Dmc1 »

The good thing about you guys protecting yourselves from being pirated is that you'll make more money. ANd hopefully that will mean more updates and better support then others Ive seen. If this is able to supprt you guys developing this then that can only meen in the end a better product for me. Hmmmm :idea: And I won't be blowing up engines and spending the next day looking through the junkyard for decent parts!!

pacman

Post by pacman »

Will current ostrich owners be able to use those units, or will a new ostrich be required to use ectune?

calvin

Post by calvin »

current and future version will be able to pair. Your current ostrich can be paired and still be used for other software(probally)
Regards, eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Caribbean & Suriname aim:calvinPGMFI skype:ectune We remote connect to your laptop if you have problems. Best support in the world.